Attaching a Sea Hood

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Attaching a Sea Hood

Post by Triton 185 »

I am building a sea hood for a Titon. The thing is that I am not sure on the ideal method of attaching to the "hoodsea" to the cabin/house. Is it best to have it removable or should it be glassed into the the structure....hhmmm, what are the pros and cons? Thanks for all your thoughts.

Stephen
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The pros to permanently installing (i.e. w/fiberglass and/or epoxy) include a higher level of overall strength and watertightness. Assuming your new seahood is fiberglass, permanently mounting it may be the best way, and will allow you to integrate it smoothly with the surrounding areas.

The con is that permanently installed is permanently installed. If some future need for servicing the sliding hatch should arise, it would be difficult to access it for the removal with a permanent sea hood. This may not be a huge concern, but is something to think about.

If the sea hood is wood, I would not permanently install it and would choose a traditional method using sealant and fasteners.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Definitely removable! Over time stuff will get under it and either block drainage of rain and spray water that gets under it and sometimes block the movement of your slider. On some boats removal of the slider depends on removing the sea hood. If you can make these independent I suggest you do so.

A good bedding (I think we have discussed bedding compounds before) and some self tapping screws are quite sufficient for the job.

Are you building a mold and casting it?

Definitely not until next winter at the earliest, but I think making one might get onto my list soon. Please post in process photos and descriptions as you progress.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I agree: Removable. You might have to get in there. You don't want to have to destroy your boat to get in there if you need to.
kabauze
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Nevermind
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #450

Post by kabauze »

I'm going to chime in with the guys that say make it removable. The previous owner of my boat installed a sea hood but just glued it down with 5200. The sliding hatch doesn't slide too well anymore but I can't get to the rails to clean & lubricate...This means that I will have to pry the thing off someday!