Mast up, cabin recore project and paint .. question

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Jasper Windvane
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by Jasper Windvane »

The mast is stepped on my boat. I am planning on a cabin top, recore around the area of the hand/grab rails that the po didn't bother sealing and now are mushy, then paint.. The mast and all is not in the way, is there any reason that the project can't be done with mast up?
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Hi Jasper - welcome to the forum! Is this a Triton you're referring to?

Generally speaking, you should not have an issue with having the mast stepped, even if it's deck stepped, assuming you're not recoring in that immediate area. Most boats should have a means of support other than just the deck structure - typically either a beam or a post.

You may want to ease your shrould tension to be prudent, but you'll be fine.

Don't assume that the area just around the handrails will be as far as you have to go. When you say the deck is mushy, do you mean the skin flexes when you walk on it? If that's the case, then the core damage can extend a fairly significant way. You'll want to drill some test holes (just through the bottom skin and into the core) to determine the extent of your core damage.

Once you have the area mapped out, remove all hardware in the area and cut the bottom skin out in the largest practical pieces. The job will be quite a bit easier if you can reuse the bottom skin.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Jasper Windvane

Jason,, the boat is a Bristol 32, and the mast is deck stepped, with a carry beam below. The are around the mast, deck, is fine. My only issue is the area of cabin top around and near to the bolt holes of the hand/grab rails. I plan on working from top to bottom, as the Bristol has a head liner. I will tap tap tap, drill drill drill .. map map map ... and then CUT.. I get an ulcer just typing those dreaded words.

Open her up, clean out, new balsa core, epoxy soup/porage/stew/goup.. clean, reattach the top, sand, bevel, sand, bevel, sand .. then clean and sand the cabin top all over. Take off the harware, take out the ports, the coamings, some other stuff.. clean and sand, clean and sand .. prime.

Then,,, finely ... two part paint. I will use the one part Interlux deck paint on the non skid. Two part Perfection on the white, flat..

Of course, living in NH is killing me! The weather won't let me start until at least March. I wish I could have brought her home and put up one of the neat little work houses like Tim's... that is soooo sweet. But noooo.
My little yacht is at a boatyard..

The one think I do have going ???? I will be out of work as of the middle of March so I can go at this everyday until June.

I am even trolling for helpers .. you know how that goes.. the helpers are always busy.

My goal? Once my boat is ready, off to the Bahama's. Via Florida.

Oh,, almost forgot.. Happy New Year.
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

Go ahead and get the removal done now and you'll be ready to fly come March!
The board does not cut itself short!
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I just reread your post and I'm not sure where I got the idea you were doing this from below. It is a big job, but not a technically difficult one. The only issue you might encounter is the weather, as your work area will be exposed for a few days.

I promise, you'll get used to cutting and drilling into your boat. :)

I suppose the Interlux product your referring to is Interdeck? Great stuff. My only advice would be to not mix it in the can. You get much better distribution of the aggregate, which settles in a clump at the bottom, if you pour it into a larger containter.

Nice boat, by the way!
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Ancient Race
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by Ancient Race »

Jasper - After reading your second post, I had a couple of questions.

If you're doing extensive work on the cabin top with the mast stepped, are you at all concerned about structural integrity? I understand that the support beam is primarily responsible for bearing the load of the rig, but I'd think that at least some of the support comes from the rigidity of the cabin top.

Not having much background in engineering, I'm curious as to what effect the downward pressure of the stepped mast might have on the cabin integrity; and whether the compromised cabin top might render the rig unstable?
Tartan 27 #77
Seafarer Meridian 26
Jet 14 #952
Jasper Windvane

Although I will be cutting some of the cabin top, the weight of the mast is not being carried by deck. A large beam is below deck to carry weight.

Good thought though.

If the boatyard wasnt' such a rip off I would have the mast down for a couple of weeks. But they want lots of money and they do a terrible job. Last spring I watched them bash this one boat and they never told the owner. I did!

He was wondering where the gouges came from ..