Fiberglass tabbing removal methods

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Fiberglass tabbing removal methods

Post by Ryan »

I have finished cutting out the woefully inadequate chainplate mounts from my Hughes 25. What is left is the tabbing to the hull. What do you guys suggest as the best method to remove the tabbing (i.e., sand down flush with the hull)? I have tried a 4 1/2 grinder, but made minimal progress. Maybe the same grinder with a rubber backing pad and some 40 grit discs? Thanks in advance.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Yup. 40 grit is the deal.
Knowing when to stop is the thing...
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Your 4 1/2 angle grinder will be THE best tool you can get, but not with a hard back disc. Get yourself a flapwheel sanding disc. The are sold in our WalMarts, made by Black and Decker, for less than 6 bucks. At our Lowe's they are available in 40, 60, 80, 120 grits for a bit more.

Get the 60 or 80 grit one, slap it in the grinder and stand by for action. I used a single 80 grit disc to grind ALL the new glass edges smooth inside Tehani. I've since gotten a new one and have used that one for all the taped edges and glass laps in the 17 footer I have under construction now.

The Flap wheel is THE best thing I've found bar none for grinding glass.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thanks for the reply guys. I sure was hoping that something would work better than the hard back ginding disc that I was using. I love my sander (DeWalt 443), but it just isn't aggresive enough for this job, so the angle grinder has been the tool of choice so far. I have been referred to the flap wheel but I have never tried them. Do they last fairly well? Thanks again
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

CharlieJ

Are you referring to the flap wheel with the sandpaper protruding out perpendicular from the grinder hub (i.e., the kind that look like an old water wheel) or the type that have the abrasive folded over itself around the perimeter of the wheel? Thanks.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

The latter kind- the one that looks like a hand of cards spread out. Man do they last a LONG time and take off glass!!

And skin too- don't ask me how I know that *grin* But be careful with it.
Curmudgeon
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Curmudgeon »

If you have access to an air compressor I'd recommend using a cut-off tool that uses inexpensive 3" cut-off discs. This tool has produced the best results for me, by far.... and air tools are generally less expensive. I just bought a second cut-off tool for $18 CDN as a backup.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

That would work really well for cutting the tabbing loose. I use lots of those myself, only the ones set up for an angle grinder.

But he already has the tabbing cut- needs to grind the remains from the hull. I don't think what you suggest would do all that well for that.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

In fact, that is exactly how I cut the chainplates out in the first place, with a right angle grinder and a cutting wheel and it worked WAY better than I expected. My angle grinder is now has 36, 60 and 80 grit flap discs waiting for use. I'll give it a go this weekend. Thanks again for all the help!
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

DON'T forget a respirator- that's gonna be almost pure glass dust you'll be kicking out of that sander.
heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

Just yesterday I was removing old tabbing from the Sabre 42 which had the untimely meeting with the crane boom and block. Some of the bulkheads had 5 layers of biax (15 oz?). I was going after it with 24 grit disks. I had on a full Tyvek suit, taped at the ankles, wrists and neck, and I am still itching right now. Even with 24 grit disks, it was like grinding on granite.
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thanks so much for the flap disc suggestion. I went after the tabbing this morning with a 36 grit flap disc, and I was done removing six sections of chainplate tabbing in less than half an hour. Charlie, you are absolutley right, this is the best bulk fiberglass removal setup I have used, hands down. Thanks again for all the help!
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Good- love it when a plan comes together *grin*