Non-Skid Deck Paint

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Columbia34
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Non-Skid Deck Paint

Post by Columbia34 »

Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

I'd like to see what this stuff looks like up-close. The water-based part sounds interesting.

But if it is anything like Duraback, forget it. A friend used the Duraback on his boat and while the non-skid properties are impressive, it is so aggressive that everything sticks to it.... you, me, and dirt. And it leaves an impressive strawberry on the knees.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Personally, I don't like the way these industrial/commercial-type coatings look on a pleasure boat. It's undeniable that stuff like Ultra-Tuff, Durabak, and Treadmaster are effective anti-skid, but you give up a lot on appearance and user-friendliness--bare feet, knees, and cleaning, as Caesar Choppy said.

I find the more recreational-friendly paints to be plenty adequate as far as nonskid ability goes, and they look a lot better. Plus, something like Interdeck is a cinch to apply, and cleans easily once in use.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

I have a similar product, TeraGrip, on my San Juan 24, covering most of the deck, cabin top, cockpit floor, and seats.

It looks good (in light gray) and has amazing non-skid properties, especially in the wet. It's saved my bacon on a couple of occasions.
The only downside for me has been cleaning: you need something like SoftScrub and a good bristle brush to bring it right up.

It's comfortable enough to sit and kneel on, although, having a skinny butt, I prefer a cushion ;-)

Application is done with a special roller using two coats, one rolled at right angles to the other. A tip from the local vendor proved very helpful: double mask all your outlines. As soon as the first coat is on, before it starts to set, remove the top layer of tape. If you wait too long to remove the tape you have to trim the rubber with a razor blade along the tape line. Same story on the second coat: remove the tape immediately on a finished section.

I've had it on for a year and a half and am quite happy with it.
I'm considering doing my Vega in the same stuff, but in a bit darker color.
YMMV
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

Scott,

There is another, older, thread here on UltraTuff: http://www.triton381.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1585

Another alternative is Kiwi-Grip, briefly discussed in this thread:
http://www.triton381.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2002

I do not yet have any experience with either of these products but I am planning to use one of them (don't know which, yet) this spring...
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation