Weight of Cloth for Sea Hood Sheathing

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Weight of Cloth for Sea Hood Sheathing

Post by triton318 »

I'm making a sea hood for my Triton. The sides and front are 1" thick red oak and the top is 1/2" birch plywood. I filleted all of the inside corners with thickened epoxy and used 3" inch wide fiberglass cloth and then 6" wide fiberglass cloth over the fillets. For a little extra added strength (because the 1/2" plywood top is a little thin) and to waterproof, I'm going to cover the top, sides, and front with two layers of fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin.
What weight cloth would you recommend?

Thanks.
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I would think that should be more than plenty strong on its own. For waterproofing, I'd go with a couple layers of relatively lightweight cloth. 6oz would probably be fine.
David

Re: Weight of Cloth for Sea Hood Sheathing

Post by David »

triton318 wrote:I'm making a sea hood for my Triton. The sides and front are 1" thick red oak and the top is 1/2" birch plywood. I filleted all of the inside corners with thickened epoxy and used 3" inch wide fiberglass cloth and then 6" wide fiberglass cloth over the fillets. For a little extra added strength (because the 1/2" plywood top is a little thin) and to waterproof, I'm going to cover the top, sides, and front with two layers of fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin.
What weight cloth would you recommend?

Thanks.
I'm finishing up a seahood for my Bristol, built similarly to your methods: http://bristol29.com/Projects/seahood/seahood.htm

Good luck,

David
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

Post by JetStream »

Nice job David!!
Bruce
Noah
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Noah »

Just a note - red oak isn't very rot resistant so make sure it's well protected/sealed.
I want a shop!