TOE RAIL- DECK/HULL JOIN "MODIFICATION"

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
vindo40
Deck Grunge Scrubber

TOE RAIL- DECK/HULL JOIN "MODIFICATION"

Post by vindo40 »

This is the situation:
1- Toe rail is out and the deck/hull join is clean and without the gelcoat.

My idea is to make a solid & even deck/hull join and pripare for a new wood toe rail "flat" in the base (side in contact with the join) NOT like the original.

POSIBILITIES:

1- Build up with cloth and epoxy that "edge".
OR
2- Pour epoxy + silica + chopped glass with a long strip of wood as a container.

What do you think? All opinions counts.....
vindo40
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Being unable to post my pictures is driving me crazy!!!

Post by vindo40 »

bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

All opinions counts.....
Since you put it that way...
1- Build up with cloth and epoxy that "edge".
yeah, that is how I would do it if you had enough money to make me do it.
2- Pour epoxy + silica + chopped glass with a long strip of wood as a container.
Pouring epoxy into a casting mold (if I understand correctly) would be hugely expensive because of the shear amount of epoxy and filler needed and not particularly strong. This is not how epoxy is engineered to work.

This is a very opinonated response.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
vindo40
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by vindo40 »

Brittoon

I understand your point but as you see in this picture there is only a few inches in the area I have to fill. I am thinking only make even the "hull" part with the "deck" part... later I will install the new wood toe rail.

Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The image links above aren't working because there's extra stuff tacked in there after the ".jpg" extension. For image tags to work and display the image here in the forum, the url for the photo needs to end in ".jpg", ".gif", or ".bmp" (usually .jpg, though). For your and others' benefit, I modified the image links in your post so that the photos display. I can't do this all the time, though.

So it should look like this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk275/mtambucho/DSC02060.jpg[/img]
If you compare this to the way your image tags appear in your posting box, you'll see that I removed a series of letters and numbers after the extension. When I do, the image tags work correctly and display the photo here.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: TOE RAIL- DECK/HULL JOIN "MODIFICATION"

Post by Hirilondë »

vindo40 wrote:
My idea is to make a solid & even deck/hull join and pripare for a new wood toe rail "flat" in the base (side in contact with the join) NOT like the original.
Why?

Why not just repair/refinish the corner, repaint, gelcoat, whatever, then make the toe rail rabbeted to fit both planes.

Hmm, I had a diagram of mine, but Free Image Hosting isn't working
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Dave took the words right out of my mouth. Why are you looking to change the setup for the repair? Why not mill the new section of toerail to fit as original?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating