Another Re-core Question

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
ensign001
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Another Re-core Question

Post by ensign001 »

I am thinking about doing my first re-core project on my Ensign this fall. The area over the raised cabin is very soft.
I have decided to work from above to keep gravity on my side.
Since the entire area over the raised cabin is soft, I have to remove the fiberglass right to the outside limits of the core material. What’s the best way to determine the limits of the core? I suppose I can drill “exploratory” holes, but I have also heard that electronic stud locators (used in carpentry) would indentify the point where the solid fiberglass stops and the core begins. Has anyone tried the stud finder method with success?
Any advice is appreciated.
Tony
Pearson Ensign, #1 (rev. 1/26/09)
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

If it is on your cabin top, it should be fairly apparent that the cabin-top is cored and the sides aren't. If it is anything like the two Pearson's I worked on, the outside corner of the cabintop is where the core started.

Here's the thing though: DO NOT cut right where the core starts. Usually the core is not a uniform thickness at the edge. Cut 3+ inches in from where you think it starts. You will need this 3 inch edge to re-attach your new "skin". If you can swing 4 inches, all the better.

You can use a scraper to dig out the core from the edge.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Exploratory holes are cheaper and you are going to replace the drilled areas anyway. Why trust a fancy schmancy stud finder when you can look with your own eyes?

Or just dig in with a circular saw. You will see pretty quick if you are in the right area. A little one way or the other isn't going to matter when you replacing the top skin anyway.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog