Covering holes from removed deck hardware

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
wfraser
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Covering holes from removed deck hardware

Post by wfraser »

I'll soon be removing all hardware from the deck and wonder if someone can suggest a tape to cover the holes in the deck. Regular tape is not a good idea as it may be 3-4 weeks before I get to rebedding the hardware.

I've heard of silver weather-resistant masking tape but am unfamiliar with its applications and seen boats in the marina using a tin foil-like tape. Can anyone name a brand to consider?

Thanks for your help.

Warren Fraser
s/v Voyager of Yokohama
Warren Fraser
s/v Voyager of Yokohama
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

3M #225 silver masking tape will last well outdoors for up to 30 days, and is easily removable thereafter with no residue. That said, keep the time to a minimum. This is what I would recommend.

Forget duct tape, foil tape, and similar; they leave horrible residue behind and don't last well to boot.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

And if you do get a bit behind in your project, remember you can always remove the tape and apply fresh tape to buy some time. Anything to avoid having to remove the "cement tape" that's been on too long. (I'm assuming these are just "rough" pieces put over holes, not carefully contoured pieces on for painting.)

Welcome! I don't think we have too many members in Japan :)

Rachel
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

3M makes an adhesive remover especially for tape residue. It may be some what amusing to remove the traces if the tape has been on a while. But since you should be thoroughly cleaning the surface just before bedding the hardware back on, it isn't the end of it all if you have to scrub a little.

Another option is to inject a small dollop of sealant into the holes instead of using tape. Then just reef the holes out with your drill immediately prior to installing the hardware. Use the same sealant you will use as bedding.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Another option is to inject a small dollop of sealant into the holes instead of using tape.
Yep, that's my idea too. It removes the time contraints.

I have used thickened epoxy in the same way. Drilling it out takes about two seconds later.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Al »

You can buy a tarp for what the 3M silver tape costs!
Al Lorman
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

If you haven't potted the holes, I would recommend overdrilling and filling with thickened epoxy. Then you can drill the correct size hole through the epoxy plug when it is time to remount your hardware.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Idon84
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

Hey Warren,

Good to see you around here. I'm sure you will find a TON of boat info here that you will have a hard time finding anywhere else. A plastic boat is a plastic boat no matter who makes it!

Anyway I would agree with the others that tape is only temporary thing to do. I would much agree that overdriving and filling with thickened epoxy is the way to go especially with your plywood core. Noticed on the BCC site that you do indeed seem to have a plywood core for you Canadian built boat. My CBCC has a balsa core. I wonder why they changed for your boat...?

I just did some taping prior to the weather getting wetter here in the NW. I was trying to get all of the holes on deck over-drilled and filled before they got wet in the fall. The tape was left on no more than a week and even after that the clean up was a bear! I should have just filled as I went rather than trying to over drill one day, prep the next and fill the next. If you do use tape for a temp cover use what Tim recommends for sure.

Good luck! And be sure to post some pictures for all of us to see!

Regards,
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Al wrote:You can buy a tarp for what the 3M silver tape costs!
LOL, ain't that the truth.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
wfraser
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by wfraser »

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Initially, I'm going at the stantions. and things are complicated by the fact that the stantion bases have a teak base sealed to the deck by what I suspect is 3M5200. I'm not sure yet, but the stuff is as hard as a rock. Also the boat was built in 1981 and I again suspect the teak bases haven't come off in all that time so I expect some degree of rot. I may need to spend a lot of time on each stantion, so in the end, the idea of overboring and then sealing with thickened epoxy one-by-one is the way to go.

By the way, Torrenson on eBay has the Silver tape going for $9.99 a roll. Not sure if that's a good price or not.

This site is a gold mine of ideas and suggestions, and I hope I can contribute meaningfully to the wealth of knowledge here.

Bryon, I've looked at your Picasa images and am really impressed by your efforts, and now feel somewhat less overwhelmed by the far simpler refit I have planned for Voyager. Good luck.Thanks again for the information

Warren
BCC Voyager of Yokohama
Warren Fraser
s/v Voyager of Yokohama
David

Post by David »

Summersdawn wrote:If you haven't potted the holes, I would recommend overdrilling and filling with thickened epoxy. Then you can drill the correct size hole through the epoxy plug when it is time to remount your hardware.
What I do is to overbore and fill with epoxy; then position the piece of hardware again and drill the correct sized hole only about a quarter inch into the epoxy. That marks the exact holes. Then, after I repaint, I will completely drill the hole with the right sized tap bit, tap the hole for the fastener to prevent any entry of water, etc.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

David wrote:What I do is to overbore and fill with epoxy; then position the piece of hardware again and drill the correct sized hole only about a quarter inch into the epoxy...
Oh that's a good idea if you're going to be painting and might otherwise "lose" the position of a piece of deck hardware. I'm going to tuck that one away for future use, thanks.

R.
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Great tip David, thanks.

I use some cheap bathtub caulk, that is really caulk and not the silicone goo. 2 bucks a tube, give it a squirt and ream it out later. Bigger holes get a cork, or wooden plug... little bit bigger, a piece of plywood and mylar packing tape over it.
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Idon84
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

David seems full of great ideas... WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT? !+$&#@ Boat work takes up enough too much time, it's nice to have other to help think for you!

CHEERS!

-a slightly buzzed & crazy plastic boat slave... Bryon
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
David

Post by David »

If you use a vix self-centering bit--Tim has mentioned them also either here and/or on his site--you can be assured of getting the hole centered. I use a slightly larger vix bit and come back later with the right size tap bit. Since I will chamfer the hole at the deck to hold a nice bead of caulk, it doesn't matter if the vix bit is larger.