Triton, area in front of rudder, behind lead.

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
cdawgs65
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ring
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 559

Triton, area in front of rudder, behind lead.

Post by cdawgs65 »

This area on my triton was weaping before I stripped the bottom and after, so I drilled into it to let it drip out more. Thinking this would let it dry up. It really didn't, so I drilled a couple bigger holes. Long story short, finally found a crack on the side of the bottom of the bilge. Some have said to just close it up and be done with it, I say it should dry up, or somehow, some way it will come back to haunt me! Any thoughts?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Do you mean the false keel?

More specific details of your problem and where you're drilling holes, locating the cracks, and so forth will help us determine how to answer your questions.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Remind us as to whether your boat has internal or external ballast.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
cdawgs65
Deck Grunge Scrubber

False keel

Post by cdawgs65 »

Yes the false keel, several inches up from the bottom and forward from the rudder, about a foot. I know this area must be filled with the foamy floatation stuff that they use to put under seats in aluminum fishing boats. The water was just seeping out of one or two areas, and thats where I drilled. Now the crack in the bilge runs along the seem, where the bottom meets the portside wall of the bilge. The crack or opened seem runs aft/upwards, towards the engine compatment. I just thought if I could dry this foamy insulation up before incapsulating it would be beneficial to alot of things,"weight/moisture" and peace of mind. I also thought of cutting at least a square hole, cleaning and air drying whats in there and then replacing the square piece and glassing it back up. thanks
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Here is a thread that contains some good photos of the anatomy of a false keel, which may help you as you proceed with your own repairs.
cdawgs65 wrote: I just thought if I could dry this foamy insulation up before incapsulating it would be beneficial to alot of things,"weight/moisture" and peace of mind. I also thought of cutting at least a square hole, cleaning and air drying whats in there and then replacing the square piece and glassing it back up.
Yup, that'll work. But however you want to approach it, I think your way will become clear once you start opening things up.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
cdawgs65
Deck Grunge Scrubber

false keel

Post by cdawgs65 »

Thanks, I took alook at that thread and probably will read it about twenty times in the near future!
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Re: Triton, area in front of rudder, behind lead.

Post by okawbow »

cdawgs65 wrote:This area on my triton was weaping before I stripped the bottom and after, so I drilled into it to let it drip out more. Thinking this would let it dry up. It really didn't, so I drilled a couple bigger holes. Long story short, finally found a crack on the side of the bottom of the bilge. Some have said to just close it up and be done with it, I say it should dry up, or somehow, some way it will come back to haunt me! Any thoughts?
Had the same problem, in the same area, on my Bristol 24 last month. I cut out an 8"x3" hole and found a void filled with wet sawdust. Cleaned it out, filled the void with closed cell foam and ground back and repaired the hole with woven roving and glass cloth in epoxy. Strong as new now.