Catalina 27 mast step question

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Clint
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Catalina 27 mast step question

Post by Clint »

I am looking for pictures of the compression post step that is in the keel. I have heard that it is one block of wood in there, but others have noted several pieces of plywood in there. I want to cut into the fiberglass to inspect but I would like some pictures before I do.
I do plan on Sailing my boat while I own it. :wink: so I don't want this to be a summer long project.
Any help would be great.
Clint
"BRIER PATCH"
1976 Catalina 27
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Ryan »

Catalina (along with several other manufactures) is infamous for things like this being differant from hull to hull. A hardwood block was called for, but it may be as simple as the factory was out of that particular piece that day, and used ply scraps. My 27 had the hardwood block, but the position of the block and the condition of most of these block that I have seen prevent pictures from being much help. They end up just looking like a photo of a black hole!

In my opinion, the most succesful repairs of this block where done with pieces of prefab fiberglass and epoxy. That being said, there is nothing wrond with epoxy saturated wood, and done with care, even the wood will likey last the life of the boat.

I know at least one member of the Catalina 27 trailer sailor board has done this repair in the last year or so and may have the pictures you would like to see.

Good luck!
Clint
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Clint »

Thanks Ryan,
Did you replace your block? Did you just cut the fiberglass at the fwd end of the small bilge? How hard was it to remove all of the old block?

Thanks,
Clint
"BRIER PATCH"
1976 Catalina 27
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Ryan »

Clint

Ironically enough, the job is easier if the block is rotten! I cut the glass and dug the block out with a chisel, a dremel and myriad other pointy and sharp instruments. The replacement was a block made up of several pieces of 1/4" (it is what I have a lot of) prefab fiberglass and set is a bed of thickened epoxy.

It is not a hard job, just a bit cramped. I recommend a pair of work gloves, as the close confines will tend to leave you with scarred knuckles in a hurry.

Ryan
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

Catalina (along with several other manufactures) is infamous for things like this being differant from hull to hull.
And from year to year. I have heard of people dong the job and replacing the block with IPE......

Shouldn't take too long. I did the engine bed on an old Catalina 30 and a few days was all it took, including the trip to the barber to get a crew cut and lose the pancake of epoxy I put in my hair while hanging in there upside down...... 8-)
Out there, alone, there is only truth.