Reinforcing Lady Kay's ama's.

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Reinforcing Lady Kay's ama's.

Post by Oscar »

In a separate thread, here, I describe how I am replacing the core of the laminate of LKIV.

The outside layer, GRP and gel-coat is thin, very very thin. (Again, the builder did everything for weight savings, not durability.)
Also, after all the mangling and loss of structure the topsides are not quite fair anymore.

I have sanded them down to gelcoat, and what appears to be a two part building primer.

Here is how I plan to proceed, AFTER the laminate has been rebuilt on the inside and rigidity has been restored.

1 Roll on two, possibly three layers of epoxy with a small amount of filler in it. I plan to do it fast enough to chemically bond them
Then let them cure fully and sand smooth. I'm looking to thicken the outer layer of the laminate to add strength and assure water tightness.

2 Use a filler, like Marine tex to fill and fair. Use a spray can with Rustoleum primer to VERY lightly spray to identify low spots during fairing.

3 Apply building primer and compatible top coat.

Anyone see anything wrong with this?
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Reinforcing Lady Kay's ama's.

Post by Hirilondë »

1. I would do step 2 first. I wouldn't use Marine Tex. It is a great product, but way too expensive for this and totally unnecessary for this application. I would thicken my own epoxy to filler status, or buy a pre-mixed epoxy filler.

2. I would do step one here. I would use epoxy resin only as it won't be more waterproof adding fillers. Yes, I would hot coat too.

3. Sounds good as is.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

. I would thicken my own epoxy to filler status
I can do that, and it was one of my plans....
We'll do that first.

No objection to using the Rustoleum primer as a fairing tell tale? Is there something better?
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I would use what ever partial can of paint I had on hand. You will be applying just as a haze and removing completely anyway.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

One more question. I got wood flower to thicken the goop to set the balsa in. Is there any reason not to use that for the filler? I have silica, but the wood is easier to sand.