Sanding Tight Areas on the Deck

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Sanding Tight Areas on the Deck

Post by The Froon »

This is going to appear to be a ridiculous question to most, but bear with me...

I am sanding of the deck of my Sea Sprite with a 6" random orbital sander. Right up against the raised area of the nonskid is very difficult to reach.

Can anyone suggest a tool that will allow me to work inside corners and this area around the nonskid?

Thanks,

Brian
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: Sanding Tight Areas on the Deck

Post by Capn_Tom »

Are you sanding to remove existing paint or bad gelcoat? There are detail sanders or sanding attachments for the Fein Multi Master that will get into tight areas but they are not very effective for heavy material removal. Depending on what you are trying to acomplish a carbide scraper might also be effective.
The board does not cut itself short!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Sometimes, there's no other way than by hand, although I'm not quite sure exactly what areas of the deck you're talking about, nor what you are trying to remove by sanding. Unfortunately, though, there's not always a way to do everything mechanically.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
The Froon

Post by The Froon »

Thanks; I hope to have a picture posted a little later today showing what I am working on. It appears that I am sanding down to the original gray gelcoat (fiberglass lay just beneath this). I am trying to take off a poor re-paint job, to then prepare for filling and fairing - eventually a primer coat then two part poly for final coat. I am taking off the nonskid as well due to it being totally rendered useless by the re-paint job. I did lose my access to electricity for a couple months, and sanded the entire hull twice (epoxy barrier coats / filling / fairing), and although slower and a lot more work, I did like "touching" every part of the hull....slower but better.

Brian
The Froon

Post by The Froon »

Tim, and all, here are some pictures of what I am working on. You can see the "tight" spots along the nonskid raised lip and in the inside corners.

Thanks,

Brian
Tim

Post by Tim »

Are you trying to save the raised areas for some reason?

I'd use the machine and sand them flush with the remainder of the deck, removing the pattern, and restrike your pattern as you see fit when it's time to repaint.

If you have your own reasons for wishing to save the raised areas, then I am sure any of the detail sanders on the market have attachments to help you sand that tiny edge, along with some handwork as needed.
The Froon

Post by The Froon »

Tim, thanks. I thought that the raised area would be nice to keep, and to apply the new nonskid onto this nearly defined raised portion of the deck. I do not know what I will be applying as far as nonskid is concerned - a paint with sand additive or a molded application. Suggestions? How would you recreate the raised area?

Thanks,

Brian
Tim

Post by Tim »

If you like the idea of raised, defined areas, then you'll have to sand around them and save them, as you have started doing. It's not worth trying to recreate them, so save what you have and get ready to tape up your fingertips for some good detail sanding.

Paint-wise, it's tough to beat Interdeck for ease of application, good looks, and generally good nonskid abilities. I like it for what it is.
Drew
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Drew »

A sanding block that has been planed to the shape of the inside corner you are sanding can be helpful on inside corners.

I am sanding the edge of my deck where the DA will not reach this way. I screwed a handle onto a piece 1 1/4" dowel, adjusted the profile with a block plane to fit the inside corner, and stuck on some psa sanding disks. It is working well.

Drew
The Froon

Post by The Froon »

Thanks Drew. I have been taping the fingers, folding small pieces of 80 grit down to form narrow and rigid edges, and sanding away. I have been applying this to the areas around the raised non-skid. This is extremely slow-going, so I am thinking of getting a little Ryobi sander for those hard to reach areas.

Thanks,

Brian