Faux raised panels

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Faux raised panels

Post by bcooke »

I saw an ad in the Boston Craigslist today that reminded me of a frequent poster here and a question I have been meaning to ask. I am also curious as to whether my intuition is correct.

To this ad poster and anyone else that might have some ideas:

I really like the look of raised paneling on the bulkheads which in my case are currently the original 1/2" fir plywood. Real raised panels might be too complex , too time consuming, and possibly add too much weight to be a viable option for me. I will add that I have never attempted to make nor taken the time to educate myself about raised panels.

I was wondering if there was a faux paneling technique that might add some class and interest beyond the basic 1/4" cherry veneered plywood I was planning on covering the bulkheads with.

Anyone have some ideas?
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Commander-147
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Destiny
Boat Type: Pearson Commander

Re: Faux raised panels

Post by Commander-147 »

There is always sketch face. If you want to while away some hours and end up with something truely unique you can lay out veneer in a pattern on a bulkhead that imitates a raised panel look. I sell doors for commercial buildings and we sometimes supply doors with a sketch face when the door is 45 or 60 or 90 minute fire rated and we cannot supply a true stile and rail door and meet the fire rating. They look very good. An exacto knife and a good straight edge are the major tools needed for a job like you are interested in doing. Oh and some patience.

BTW true raised panels are not hard at all to make with the right tools. I have made many of them with a 3 HP router in a table and the right set of router bits. Square panels are very easy, curved panels require some templates and a bit more time but with a little practice they are not that bad either.
Jerry Carpenter
Commander # 147 "Destiny"
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

A few brushes and some paint......you can paint it on. A day or two. Some good music, beverage of your choice. Could be a zen experience. The following panels on a fire door are pure trompe l'oeil (As in fooling the eyes)....

Out there, alone, there is only truth.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Wow. I'm trying to make my eyes see those panels as only paint; but even knowing they are faux...they look so real. Amazing.

Come on, Britton. An afternoon, some music, a beverage....

Hee.

R.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

You could cover the bulkhead with the veneer plywood of your choice and then install, in a pleasing and appropriate pattern, strips of wood to simulate the rails and stiles of a panel-type construction. You'd end up with a flat-panel look which could be equally pleasing and break up the plain, flat surface.

Of course, the bulkhead surface isn't really that big once all the adjacent cabinets are installed and complete, so it's not quite the yawning plain surface it might appear now, but a well-executed faux paneled look could be nice.

Solid wood raised panels wouldn't add that much weight if you wanted to go that route, however, and would be a nice look as well.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Whether you go veneer, or real, if in fact you go either, I would install the connecting cabinets etc, or at least lay out their intersection with the bulkhead first. Most panel patterns are based on the visible portion of the bulkhead, and tie in with the connecting components, not just square, and then cut off by the connecting components.

I like the all veneer or veneer and mock rails and stiles ideas. If you go the second route you don't even need to lay out the panels. Simply veneer the entire surface, or use veneered plywood, the mock rails and stiles will define the panels.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I've always really liked this photo of the saloon of "Burgoo," a Pearson Invicta. Doesn't hurt to have a large bulkhead with a curved corner, of course.

I don't know if this is something you'd want to consider, Britton, but on smaller bulkheads I've always liked the look that a nicely done, curved trim edge gives to it. Seems to make the materials of the actual panel be just fine "plain."

Hmm, now that I say that I can't immediately dredge up any really good photos of what I mean, but these sort of show what I'm thinking about. The first one is a West Coast Triton.

Kind of nice to be getting to this stage after all the grinder, etc. type work, isn't it? :)

Rachel
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I think Tim is onto something with the thought that these bulkheads really aren't all that big in actual use.

If the plain clean surface seems too much for you, mount a series of before-and-after pics! (to be replaced, of course, by various cruise pics as the years pass)
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Thanks.

Yeah, the bulkheads in question are really quite small and mine in particular with the starboard one half-removed. I just wanted to add some detailing on an otherwise plain surface. Actually, something like what Rachel posted (Burgoo) might be fine if a bit too 'busy' for my situation. Curved entrance ways look very nautical but I think they take up too much space on my space challenged Triton. I won't go all square but I don't have room for the big sweeping curves either. Subtle curves for me I think.

Good advice on tying the final pattern with the adjoining cabinetry.

An amazing job with paint alone. In my case I think I want the tactile sensation but that paint job does look impressive.

I am leaning towards the mock rails and stiles method myself. I can put up the veneer which makes for a nice interior by itself and then play with the patterns at my whim. I like the idea of breaking up that blank surface but I worry that doing it on one bulkhead face will leave the other surfaces looking plain or mismatched.

If I don't launch next year I might get started this winter. If I think I am going to launch next year then other stuff will probably take priority (like a completed sailing hardware system).
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Britton,

I understand that your boat is a source of pride but you need to read between the lines
sail the boat - sail the boat - sail the boat - sail the boat - sail the boat - sail the boat - sail the boat - sail the boat
All the details can be added as you and the boat "mature." As you sail the boat you can get a feel for what is important
sail the boat - sail the boat - sail the boat - sail the boat - sail the boat - sail the boat - sail the boat - sail the boat
A boat that is suitable to be a six page layout in a yachting magazine is a source of pride forever but remember what
it is all about. These are some of the same struggles I am going through on a daily, weekly, monthly, seasonal and particularly
winter basis is that I want a perfect boat. The reality is that I will never have that boat. When I sell Paper Moon, I plan on having
many stories to tell about sailing the coast of southern New England and the joy of waking up in the perfect harbor watching
Osprey and Bald Eagles eating sushi while I sip coffee in the cockpit. Reality is, you will remember siting in the cockpit sailing or in
a distant harbor. Not standing in front of a chop saw cutting miters. SAIL THE BOAT.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Oscar
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

Velcro..... cut a bunch of trim pieces with 45 corners and glue the hooks on the back, put the soft loop fabric on the bulkhead, have a different pattern every week! When you find one you like, nail them down. Or, leave as is and have entertainment for kids!
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

Thanks Dennis. I think you made the point quite well :-)

Maybe I should qualify my last statements:

With my current work schedule and depleted savings it will probably be several years before a real cruise is a possibility again. For the next couple of seasons I will be limited to sailing every other weekend or so. Sailing is fun but cruising is where it is really at for me. If sailing was the only goal I would have stuck with a smaller boat, definitely one with less systems to bother with, and just more open deck to enjoy. Plus, with the boat safely in the yard, there is a lot less stress from worrying about it.

While I am glad I launched this season, 'finishing up' on the mooring is a major hassle and extremely slow going and frustrating. I don't want to 'finish up' on the mooring ever again. It takes all the fun out of it.

Besides, I am just idlely contemplating the next few years of work schedules. I won't be jumping right into the finishing details on the interior just yet. Sailing hardware takes precedence.

And actually, I think working on the boat is nearly as much fun as sailing. When this boat is 'done' I will just be starting in on a different project. It's what I do. :-)

and as a last thought, I have a few friends that offer to take me sailing now and then ;-)
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog