Bristol 27 rudder tube design

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Chesapeakegem
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Chesapeake Gem
Boat Type: Bristol 27, 1967 Hull # 160

Bristol 27 rudder tube design

Post by Chesapeakegem »

Greetings all, what a great site! I aquired a 1967 Bristol 27 last november which aside from being neglected for quite some time is in pretty good condition. I have sailed her afew times since and noticed a fair amount of "play" in the tiller head to rudder shaft connection. Last weekend I got to adressing the problem and removed the tiller attachment yoke assembly from the rudder shaft and found that the compression gap in the tiller yoke was already tight and the shaft key a little worn. I removed the yoke and gently opened up the slot. I then installed some brass shims in the socket of the yoke and set about tapping the yoke back down onto the rudder shaft using a rawhide mallet, The connection is now nice and tight and I'm feeing pretty good about my repair. Not knowing to leave well enough alone, I then wedged the tip of my trusty craftsmen screwdriver in between the cockpit floor seal and the bottom of the seated tiller yoke thinking I may have tapped the rudder shaft down some while tapping on the tiller yoke. I was abe to pry it up about a 1/16 to an 1/8" but no more. I broke off the tip of my trusty craftsman screw driver and let it be at that. Grasping the tiller handle to re-check the movement I felt and heard a distinct clunk in the assembly while movig the tiller back and forth which was not there before. It feels as if something down in the rudder tube has slipped or been dislocated. I have visually inspected what I can see of the rudder tube, log and packing fitting but see no movement other than the shaft rotating like it should. I plan to do a little bit of underwater inspection at the rudder shoe this weekend to see if I've unstepped the heel of the rudder. I'd like to know if anyone has any thoughts or knowledge of what I should be looking for otherwise. Thanks.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Bristol 27 rudder tube design

Post by Rachel »

I don't have any thoughts on your rudder (except also to be curious what happened), but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum :)

Rachel
Chesapeakegem

Post by Chesapeakegem »

Thanks for the welcome Rachel. I'm really hoping that its something simple so I can fix it myself. I'd really like to know what's on the inside of that rudder tube. Thanks again.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

It is really hard to visualize or feel what you can by words alone. It is even harder for me when I do not know exactly how the rudder post is connected to the boat in a Bristol. But it seems like you may have dislocated or damaged the bushings in the tube. If you had a Renegade, and knowing how the bushings work in them and are located this would be my first guess. By all means investigate under water. But it is quite possible that the solution can only be determined and resolved with the boat out of the water.

I'm sorry this situation is how you have come to this forum and not something more fun to resolve, but welcome!
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Chesapeakegem

Post by Chesapeakegem »

Thanks Dave.
The Bristol and Pearson yachts do have a common thread in thier pedigree however I think the Renegade was fitted with a Stab style rudder while the B27 is keel hung. I do agree with your suggestion however. It's a nice warm sunny day here on the eastern shore. I'll be taking a dip later this afternoon to give that rudder a shake.

Thanks again!
Lloyd
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ella Marie
Boat Type: Bristol 27

Post by Lloyd »

I might be a little late but I took a few pictures of my rudder for you so you can see what is under water. i have a Bristol 27 #200.
Attachments
bottom of rudder - lifted up
bottom of rudder - lifted up
bottom of rudder seated
bottom of rudder seated
strap - rudder lifted up
strap - rudder lifted up
strap - with rudder seated
strap - with rudder seated
top of rudder
top of rudder
Lloyd
Bristol 27, #200
Chesapeakegem

Post by Chesapeakegem »

Thank you very much for the pictures Lloyd. I did go for a swim last weekend, (6" visibility, 55 Degree water temp, BRRRRRR). I was able to give the rudder a good shaking and determined that the "Play" I am feeling in the tiller is actually coming from the point where the rudder post fits into the rudder shoe. There must be a very short bushing down inside there that seats the male post of the rudder. I only lifted it an 1/8". One would think it would just drop right back down into it..

Your greatly appreciated photo's give me a much greater level of comfort and peace of mind that my rudder isn't going to just suddenly drop out of the boat.

Thanks to everyone for the input on this subject. My plans are to loosen up the tiller attachment yoke and see if the rudder shaft will reseat. Which is probably what I should have done in the first place.

Thanks to everyone again!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Brrr indeed!

Hopefully you just got busy, instead of it actually being two weeks before your fingers would type again ;)

I was wondering what you had found, so I'm glad you reported back.

Rachel