Companionway Sliding Hatch Reinforcement

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Chesapeake Bob
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aloha Spirit
Boat Type: Cape Dory 30

Companionway Sliding Hatch Reinforcement

Post by Chesapeake Bob »

Plastic Classic Sailors All:

For some time, I have been concerned about the strength of the fiberglass sliding hatch over the companionway on our 1984 Cape Dory 30. Specifically, I wonder about the strength of the tabs of the hatch that slide in the nylon and wood rails. When I am working on the sail cover or taking a reef, I wonder if this hatch can still support me. I especially wonder if I a (heftier) crew member is doing these functions.

I have seen at the boat shows hatches with either aluminum or stainless steel slides. I think I have seen these on the Sabres.

Yesterday, I removed the sea hood and the sliding hatch to address another issue and the idea of adding a stainless rail to the hatch came to mind.

Has anyone here tackled such a reinforcement project and what exactly did you do? Photos are always appreciated!

F/W
Chesapeake Bob
Cape Dory 30
sv Aloha Spirit
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Companionway Sliding Hatch Reinforcement

Post by Hirilondë »

Chesapeake Bob wrote: Specifically, I wonder about the strength of the tabs of the hatch that slide in the nylon and wood rails.
Hmm, I am finding it hard to visualize exactly what you have here. I picture would surely help.

Most of the companionway hatches I have seen are not so weak in how they rest on their slides. Their primary weakness is in how they support a load over the opening. In other words, a rather stout crew member could break through the hatch in spite of it sitting well on its slides.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Chesapeake Bob
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aloha Spirit
Boat Type: Cape Dory 30

Post by Chesapeake Bob »

Dave,

The fiberglass edges of the hatch slide in channels mounted on the top of the cabin. The channels are teak. Inside the channels, there are U shaped plastic or perhaps nylon "liners," to facilitate the ease of the sliding action. Sorry I do not have a picture. I am at the desk and the boat is at the marina.

Chesapeake Bob
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I think I would want some replaceable "sacrificial piece" attached to the hatch that actually came into contact with the groove. The nylon or UHMW insert in the teak is a good idea, but I wouldn't want the actual molded hatch sides to be in contact in them. Not for the sake of strength, but so as not to wear away at the hatch itself. It will probably last many, many years that way, I just like wearing parts to be replaceable.

As to strength: It all boils down to how sturdy the hatch construction is. I would think a Cape Dory has a more than adequate hatch to stand on, they are well built boats. But even a picture might leave a little too much information out for someone to make a good evaluation in this.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Your existing arrangement sounds exactly like the way the Morgan 27 was done in 1972, except that the Morgan had no sacrificial or any other kind of wear-absorbing parts. The fiberglass companionway slide rubbed directly on the 'glass of the cabin top. It took about 30 years for the rubbing to go through the gelcoat in a few places and for the Teak tracks to weather to insufficient thickness. The tracks were simply a dadoed strip of Teak and only served to align and retain the slide in place. I replaced the tracks with thicker-than-original material and went sailing.