Cleaning and re-installing ports

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Ariadne
Boat Type: Morgan M34

Cleaning and re-installing ports

Post by cantstopnow »

I have searched for the answer to this because I know that this has been discussed before somewhere but I am still posting the question for clarity.

I have removed the starboard fixed port to repair the leaking problem. Removal and disassembly went smoothy. The window was bedded in the frame with what looks like a black butyl rubber. I am going to try mineral spirits to clean off the black stuff. Any advice?

I am not sure what was used to seal the frame into the openings, It could be silicone. What is the recommended regiment to clean prior to re-installing and the best product product for the new seal?

Today is a great day to Go Sailing
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher

Re: Cleaning and re-installing ports

Post by cantstopnow »

replying to my own post... Polysulphide sealant for the frames and and deadlights?
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
bhartley
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

Post by bhartley »

I just replaced the lexan in my Bomar hatch. For installing the lexan, a structural silcone sealant was recommended by the manufacturer. I used Dow Corning 995 (from McMaster Carr). The installation looks pretty close to the original and it sure doesn't leak! I used a razor blade to remove the bulk of the old sealant from the glass and a putty knife on the frame. Final cleanup on the frame was done with a Scotchbrite pad. The silicone product was only used to bed the glass in the frames and not the frames in the openings. I know silicone is evil, but I went with Pompanette's instructions in this one case.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Definitely do NOT use polysulfide if the lights are plastic of any kind. Most manufacturers of polycarbonate and acrylics recommend silicone. But you will find that a few of us here are not big fans of that stuff. I have used polyurethanes with good results, and Sika now makes one specifically for glazing. Mine are done with Sikaflex 291-LOT and have stood up well.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

I think the earlier poster meant Dow 795 (not 995). Both 795 and 739 are structural adhesives recommended for lexan and plexi. They are far removed in properties from the silicone you have probably seen or used before. They are used to attach glazing to highrises without fasteners as well as ports in Boeing planes among other uses. This is one case (maybe the only one!) where silicone should be used on a boat. But to attach the frame to the deck I would use either butyl or Sikaflex.
bhartley
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

Post by bhartley »

Actually I did mean 995. That is what was recommended and that is what I used...

http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/ ... &Type=PROD
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

The 995 is listed as for metal and glass but is probably a good choice. The best recommendation I have received is for Dow 739 which is designed for plastics specifically. http://www2.dowcorning.com/DataFiles/09 ... 002241.pdf
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I have used Dow 795 and it works great. But just try to paint adjacent to your ports some time down the road and see if you feel it was worth using.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher

Post by cantstopnow »

Thank you very much for the responses. We got things cleaned up and I will get the sealants tomorrow and get it back together.

The aluminum frame has some corroded areas that I cleaned up and smoothed the best I could. I wonder if there is a source for replacement frames for this model?

The black sticky stuff (butyl rubber?) cleaned up easier than I expected with mineral spirits.

1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
cantstopnow
Master Varnisher

Post by cantstopnow »

Update:

I am sure that there is no quicker way to feel like a clumsy moron than when installing deadlights alone when pressed for time. Well it's done and the thunderstorms that followed showed no leaks.
I do have some clean up though...
Attachments
IMG_1481.jpg
1966 Morgan M34 K/CB
1965 Pearson Commander
1977 kells 28
1973 Paceship PY23
1971 Compac CP 16
Rachel
Master of the Arcane