Pearson Renegade - #60 Mast Tabernacle

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
sailingcowboy
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Renegade 60
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Pearson Renegade - #60 Mast Tabernacle

Post by sailingcowboy »

Am in process of rebuilding a Pearson Renegade and want to install a mast tabernacle. Anyone out there who has done it or has suggestions - comments appreciated.

sailingcowboy
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Pearson Renegade - #60 Mast Tabernacle

Post by Hirilondë »

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Renegade owner.

I am curious as to why you want to add a tabernacle? My mast is so heavy that I would be leary of trying to raise and lower it while afloat to go under bridges and such.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
sailingcowboy
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Renegade 60
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by sailingcowboy »

Thanks for the comment. Boat is on trailer in Santa Rosa, CA and none of the local launching sites have either a travel lift or crain available to lift mast. Do not intend, unless necessary, to raise or lower whlle unstable in water. While mast is somewhat heavy have observed, for years, simular type masts being dipped to enter Santa Cruz upper harbor or in the Delta to go under bridges.

Thanks again for comment.

jre
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

I haven't put a tabernacle on any boat, but in the March 2009 issue of Good Old Boat a couple who put one on their Cape Dory (27?) wrote it up. Seems like they did a pretty decent job of it - enough, at least, that they're happy with it.

Good luck with your project, and welcome to the forum!
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

sailingcowboy wrote: and none of the local launching sites have either a travel lift or crain available to lift mast.
Wow, that seems strange to me. But in this situation maybe a tabernacle is the best answer, or at least a pivot pin of some kind.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Slight tangent, but a friend of mine owns a Westsail 32, and when he bought it the mast was set up with a tabernacle and the cap shrouds had turnbuckles in line with the axis of mast-base tabernacle pivot. The old hailing port was Santa Cruz. As we found out later, a previous owner had kept the boat in a (the?) Santa Cruz inner harbor and had raised and lowered that mast for each sail. My mind boggled!