wood overlay over transom

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
lowufo
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: providence
Boat Type: bristol 32

wood overlay over transom

Post by lowufo »

I want to cover the transom with some nice wood on our Bristol 32 .Has anyone done this before ? pictures ? methods ? relocating the bilge thru hull and tank vent ? chain plate ?
Thanks in advance !
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: wood overlay over transom

Post by Hirilondë »

I don't think I would relocate any of those things. I definitely would not relocate the backstay chain plate and the through hulls for a bilge pump and tank vent really are best left there as well. You can purchase either veneer or 3 mil plywood for this, or maybe some really thin planks. I would remove the 3 items, epoxy the wood of choice, varnish, then drill out the wood and reinstall them.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
lowufo
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: providence
Boat Type: bristol 32

Post by lowufo »

I was thinking of 1/2' or 3/4 so I could get a nice looking edge.hain plate would either covered or removed then reinstalled
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

I think you're best to use thin, 3/16" or less strips of solid wood. Pieces this thin are able to be attached with epoxy only. Thicker wood will need fastenings as the forces when the wood moves will overcome the bond of the epoxy. West has some good guidelines about installing a wood overlay on a deck and the same principles apply to your transom. Here's a link that describes one deck installation and there are more if you search. http://www.epoxyworks.com/20/pdf/Ew20_Teak_deck.pdf