Outlet Port to Nowhere

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Outlet Port to Nowhere

Post by hriehl1 »

I have a 1-inch (or so) outlet fitting in the port hull near the anchor locker... much like my bilge-pump outlets. The hose to it was cut off by the PO 3 or four inches from the interior of the outlet, I have no idea what it may have been for.

I'm not comfortable having what is essentially an open hole in my hull, even if near the rubrail. Are there fittings one can put on the plastic outlet ports to essentially seal them off (like a cap over the barbed hose-fitting)? I'm really not interested in removing the fitting altogether with the accompanying glasswork to repair the hole that would result.

Thanks for any thoughts.

If helpful, I can post inside and outside photos when I'm next at the boat but I think it is just a standard thru-the-hull fitting for bilgewater pump-out.

Continued thanks... this board has been very helpful to me in laying out my fall, winter and next spring timeline of projects.
Poda
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Type: 1976 Northstar Farr 727 #37

Re: Outlet Port to Nowhere

Post by Poda »

Hmm.. it wouldn't be a vent hose for an old/original holding tank would it? In a previous life, mine was originally installed in the anchor locker space and i have the exact same hose in mine. Personally, I'm going to be fiberglassing/filling/fairing mine. I don't want any plugs to potentially fail, but that's just my paranoia of "whatever can go wrong, will go wrong" kicking in
1976 Northstar Farr 727 #37
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I was thinking the same thing: Maybe it was a vent outlet for a water tank or holding tank; that's not an uncommon area for them.

Someone else may have a solution that I am not aware of, but typically through hulls have either NPS (straight) threads (so that you can thread a seacock on), or are barbed so there isn't a good/simple way to cap them (if you search, I had a thread asking this a few years ago).

That's not to say you could not come up with a way.

On the other hand, maybe it will turn out that you want to (re-)use it for vent.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

If it is up just below the deck then I don't see it as a significant safety issue. You can add a piece of hose and cap off the end of the hose with a plug (wood dowel?) and hose clamp. You are now as secure as when it was in use. You are sealing it off from an occasional wave in the worst case.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Rachel wrote:
Someone else may have a solution that I am not aware of, but typically through hulls have either NPS (straight) threads (so that you can thread a seacock on), or are barbed so there isn't a good/simple way to cap them (if you search, I had a thread asking this a few years ago).

I still say we need to machine up some solid bronze plugs for situations like this......

I need a thread cutting lathe.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Post by hriehl1 »

I am guessing it was a vent for fresh water. The fresh water tank is now a small flexible type that would not need a vent since it collapses as it is emptied so would not need a vent... but that flexible bag-tank certainly was not original equipment on a 1968 boat.