Barient-20 ST Winch Maintenance question..

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Poda
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Type: 1976 Northstar Farr 727 #37

Barient-20 ST Winch Maintenance question..

Post by Poda »

I posted this on another site and didn't get much help, then realized that I would've done better to post it here where there's more of a focus on older equipment..

---

So one of the things I need to address this winter is maintenance for my winches.. So off they come. I have two Barient 20's, and a Barlow 16P. I've managed to find dis-assembly info and maintenance on the 16, but can't seem to find out how to remove the drum on the 20's.

There's a ton of Barient/Barlow/Lewmar service manuals at http://l-36.com/winches.php , including ones for a Barient-20 from 69.. But I don't have the same #20. Mine has four screws in the drum and I'm unsure as to the dis-assembly..

Now, I'm assuming that's the retaining ring on the outside of the spindle that I need to pry off with a screwdriver (left side of the spindle in the pic) as per the instructions for the 1969 Barient..

But.. going back to the 4 spring loaded (i think) screws half covered by the cap. What are these for? Tension adjustments or something like that?

Anyone have any more info on these things? I've tried searching sailnet, and google, and while it's likely I'm messing up the search terms, I'm not finding anything useful for this particular winch. I'm just not comfortable attempting to open up the #20's without a better understanding of how it's going to come apart.

I believe the winches are original to the boat, so they're from 75-76 or so.
Attachments
winch.jpg
1976 Northstar Farr 727 #37
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Re: Barient-20 ST Winch Maintenance question..

Post by Al »

The C&C owners web site has the manuals for a lot of Barient winches. They don't seem to have a 20 ST, but there are several that are quite similar. http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/index1.htm

Al Lorman
Al Lorman
Chris Campbell
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

This is just a guess from me, but I'd predict that those four spring loaded screws are holding on the self-tailing jaws, and they're spring loaded so that the jaws can spread to tightly hold different rope sizes.

I doubt that I would bother touching them if they were on my boat, unless there seemed to be a malfunction. Assuming that I'm right about their purpose you should be able to disassemble and service the winch without touching them - and I can't imagine that they require lubrication or adjustment if they're working correctly.

As I say, however, this is a guess on my part.
jlroberts280
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by jlroberts280 »

This is for the 23ST, Its not the exact same winch but I think it is close...try this link. If the link doesn't work, it's from the Ericson owners website.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchan ... =35&id=144
Jon Roberts
Spirit '83 Ericson 35-III
Former owner of VSOP '69 Pearson Coaster #115
South Portland, ME
Poda

Post by Poda »

You guys rock.. that's already a lot more info than I was able to glean elsewhere.. thanks!
Poda

Post by Poda »

Chris Campbell wrote:This is just a guess from me, but I'd predict that those four spring loaded screws are holding on the self-tailing jaws, and they're spring loaded so that the jaws can spread to tightly hold different rope sizes.

I doubt that I would bother touching them if they were on my boat, unless there seemed to be a malfunction. Assuming that I'm right about their purpose you should be able to disassemble and service the winch without touching them - and I can't imagine that they require lubrication or adjustment if they're working correctly.

After doing what I should've done in the first place and looking at the Barient Catalogue listed with some of the service manuals on various sites it turns out you're bang on.

Good guess!

JLRoberts: Looking at the exploded view in the version of the service guide for the 23ST I found I think you're right.. The 23ST seems to be closest to what I have and I'll start with that.
Attachments
winch2.jpg
Sailordave
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Sailordave »

Chris Campbell wrote:This is just a guess from me, but I'd predict that those four spring loaded screws are holding on the self-tailing jaws, and they're spring loaded so that the jaws can spread to tightly hold different rope sizes.

I think I would still COMPLETELY disassemble the winch and thoroughly clean everything. You can only imagine the crunk I've found in many of the winches I've taken apart!
sail_fix
Boat Name: Fresh Air
Boat Type: Olson 34

Post by sail_fix »

jlroberts280 wrote:This is for the 23ST, Its not the exact same winch but I think it is close...try this link. If the link doesn't work, it's from the Ericson owners website.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchan ... =35&id=144
And if it DOES work it's also from ericsonyachts.org !!
:)

And, on a slightly less frivolous note, anyone want to guess what that 1975 self-tailing Barient would cost in 2011 dollars?
(Yikes...)

LB
(EY.org moderator and occasional herder of cats)
Poda

Post by Poda »

sail_fix.. actually, by all means.. I'd love to know and file away as a "useless info for future reference" trivia tidbit :)