Packing/Stuffing Box Hose

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
rickal4884
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Packing/Stuffing Box Hose

Post by rickal4884 »

My son and I were going to repack the stuffing box on my 1967 Ericson 30 and realized the packing/stuffing box hose was badly deteriorated. The packing/stuffing box requires a 1 1/4 inch inside diameter hose. It appears that Buck Algonquin no longer makes this size hose, nor does anyone else I can locate. I believe that some people have used non wired exhaust hose. Can anyone give me any information on what type of hose, manufacturer and possibly the name of a supplier? At present I seem to be going in circles.
margitchris
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Moonshadow
Boat Type: Seafarer 31 yawl

Re: Packing/Stuffing Box Hose

Post by margitchris »

I had. The same situation with my rudder tube. I tried squeezing the 1.5 inch Buck Algonquin hose down to the smaller size with hose clamps, but didn't trust it. I ended up getting the best exhaust hose I could find with 1.25 inner diameter. Just keep an eye on it, which you should do anyway. My rudder tube was completely inaccessible, blocked visually by a 20gallon fuel tank. I have replaced the tank and made some other changes so now I can at least visually examine the rudder hose.
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Whatver you do, DON'T rely on hose clamps to squeeze an oversize hose onto the stern tube. You will just be inviting disaster.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Post by Carl-A259 »

Go to a reputable hose vender such as a place that makes up hydraulic hose,( check the yellow pages or on line) they will have the correct size you need. What you need is called: Suction Hose. You can use different hose but this type is easy to work with and very durable.