HVLP equipment

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Jfwtc
Bottom Paint Application Technician

HVLP equipment

Post by Jfwtc »

Looking for suggestions for the best HVLP spray equipment for applying Awlgrip without breaking the bank! JFWTC
Wayne
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I'm using this turbine system from TP Tools:

Showtime 90 HVLP Turbine

They regularly sell "slightly damaged" units on Ebay, which is how I bought mine. There was no sign of damage on my brand-new unit.

Buy the gravity-feed gun, whichever gun you choose. It's much easier to use than the other type.

I found with Awlgrip that it was best to use the slowest reducer (hot weather reducer) with this turbine gun because the turbine slightly warms the air; this was causing the regular reducer to flash too quickly, creating orange peel in the surface since the paint couldn't self-level fast enough. The slower reducer greatly helped in orange peel reduction.

If you have a compressor, you can just use an HVLP conversion gun with your compressed air. I don't have a compressor at this point, so I stuck with the turbine for the moment.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Jfwtc
Bottom Paint Application Technician

HVLP

Post by Jfwtc »

Thank you for the response.
Are there advantages or disadvantages to using turbine or compressed air?
Wayne
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I think it depends on what you have in your shop, and what you intend to do. If you don't have a compressor and don't intend to get one, the turbine is a good option. I think compressed air probably works the best for spraying in the end, but I've been happy with the turbine.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rogue Sailor

Post by Rogue Sailor »

I have a FUJI HVLP system which I used to paint Interthane Plus two part epoxy paint on my Tanzer 26 hull. Its a great machine. I've used the optional top feed gun for touch up work and for applying spar varnish.

http://www.FUJISPRAY.COM