Spraying, but no video :(

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Spraying, but no video :(

Post by Peter »

Just watched the video of Tim spraying using his HVLP gun ... very very nice!

The weather finally cooperated here: 60 degrees 50% humidity. I have an "HVLP" gun that operates from a normal compressor, not as efficient as the one Tim uses, but a lot better than my old full pressure gun. There is very little overspray and the gun is a real miser when it comes to paint consumption.

I'm painting in an enclosed plastic shed to keep fumes from drifting through the neighborhood, and using a modified mask that draws fresh air from outside the painting shed, and is also filtered with two dust filters and dual organic vapor cartridges.

Initially I tried forcing air up the hose using a fan, but this upset the small intake and outlet valves in the mask, so I scrapped the idea. Even though I'm sucking air through a 24 foot hose the setup works well.

The hose is a bit of a nuisance to drag around; you have to be careful not to drag it across a freshly painted surface. Two hoses, one on each side of the boat, would work better.

I wanted a nice bright color so I chose 1937 GM "Scarlet". The paint is DuPont Imron two part polyurethane. This paint has an activator that contains some pretty nasty stuff so it's extremely important to cover every square inch of one's body and when the job is done get out of the shop and stay out until the paint has set. I keep the mask on while mixing paint and during cleanup operations too.

I checked the dust filters on my mask and there was only a very small amount of red on them. This probably happened when I unplugged the breathing hose to move to the other side of the boat.

I'm pretty happy with the final job, although there are a couple of runs. My painting mentor says these can be removed once the paint has fully set.

He uses a razor blade to scrape them down level with the surrounding paint, sands with 1000 grit wet/dry paper, then 2000 grit, and finally uses an electric polisher to blend in the area. Sounds good to me, I just hope it works!

BTW, the boat is a 1973 San Juan 24.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Wow! Looks great. You'll be highly visible should it become foggy.

The LPU paints can usually be "worked" for a day or two after application, before the next stages of curing have begun. One thing that the new Alexseal LPU I am trying is supposed to address is the ease with which the surface can be fine-tuned or repaired after spraying, whereas Awlgrip is notoriously unwelcoming to such treatment (though it is possible...just not easily or always successfully).

When I had my unsuccessful mast painting last fall, I tried wetsanding the paint a couple days after the fact, after I learned about a "save the paint" technique. Had I tried the wetsanding only one day after painting, when the new paint was still in a very soft cure stage, I feel I probably could have salvaged the frost-ruined paint job. However, the extra day or two (I forget) eliminated this possibility.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Peter

Post by Peter »

Interesting that they can still be 'worked' soon after spraying. I did a Google for 'sags runs paint problems' but didn't find any new info. I'll try again and add 'lpu'

Thanks Tim.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Peter

Post by Peter »

Just an added note about my breathing aparatus:
The breathing hose will only work if your mask has separate air intake and air exhaust valves. Otherwise you'll be breathing the same column of stale air back and forth at the top of the tube until you pass out from lack of oxygen. The setup I use draws air in from the hose, through the 2 filters, and exhausts on the out-breath through a center exhaust port ... ie the flow of air in the tube is only in one direction: inward.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Yours is a good, simple, and effective solution for your needs. I admire your ingenuity in coming up with the setup. It looks great for a one-time or similarly limited use.

For anyone looking to do repeated grinding, sanding, and especially spray painting projects, however, I highly recommend a legitimate supplied air system. They are highly effective, and make a significant difference to your working comfort through all operations.

I love my Willson supplied air system, which I bought new on Ebay for under $500. I use it for nearly all sanding and grinding operations on a regular basis, as well as during spray painting, of course. It makes all the difference between misery and relative comfort during the nastiest of grinding operations, and beats any standard respirator hands down.

You can also buy a similar basic SAS Safety system online (through various sellers) for just over $500. I happen to also have one of these in the shop, though it's owned by a friend, technically (he's never used it...). It works well and is very similar to my Willson setup, but my Willson mask is easier to put on and off, and is much more comfortable to wear.

A fine upgrade to any of these systems is the addition of a remote control on-off switch; the basic supplied air systems don't even have an on/off switch (you just plug it in). I bought one of the remote switches intended for use with a dust collection system, and plug the supplied air pump right into it, allowing me to turn it on an off from up on the boat or wherever.

Note that with either of these systems, an air intake extension hose (extra; about $25) is required to allow the fresh air intake to be placed in a safe area of clean air.

I have never thought that safety, particularly respiratory safety, was a logical place to skimp when doing this sort of work on a regular basis. Therefore, the supplied air system makes sense for me, or for anyone doing more than one project boat that involves heavy duty grinding and spraying.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Yeah, the SAS mask works great, but it's very uncomfortable?at least for me. I'd definitely look at the Wilson or some other mask if I was purchasing one.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

...and here I'm just tickled to have splurged on the full-face-shield version of the 3M respirator when JD had them on sale a few months ago!

That's one fun color!
Steer clear of racing fleets, lest you be confused for a mark!
Peter

Post by Peter »

I only just graduated to the full face mask, and I love it. No more fogging up my goggles or glasses, and full face protection too. The cartridge filters can easily be swapped for a couple of HD dust filters when sanding and grinding.

BUT .... I really like the look of the Willson system. Time to start watching E-Bay again!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30