Painting Hull topsides

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
radicalcy
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: AllAboutMe
Boat Type: Columbia 8.7

Painting Hull topsides

Post by radicalcy »

Okay then. I'm about ready to put on the third coat of Interlux Topsides.Using one part polyurethane. I've sanded, prepped and I'm ready to go. Question. If the final coat has drips, runs, bugs, etc, what do I use to bring the gloss back up after the final sanding? Specific brands of compounds are what I'm looking for here.
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

I would first use a "nib" as we call it to remove the excess paint in the drip or sag (with 2 part LPUs, wait 2 days for the paint to cure--I would suggest the same time frame for a single part paint). Once the area is essentially smooth, wetsand with 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200 and 1500 grits. For buffing/polishing, use 3M Microfinishing (beige) followed by 3M Imperial (white). I cannot guarantee the process with single part paints, but it works well with PPG products, AwlCraft 2000, and if handled carefully, even AwlGrip.

Good Luck....
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
radicalcy

Post by radicalcy »

[ would first use a "nib" as we call it to remove the excess paint in the drip or sag]
Sounds like a plan. What is it and where do I go to get one? [/quote]
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Many paint manufacturers actually have a detailed method approved for repairs to a certain brand of paint. Sometimes, these instructions are so detailed as to include the brand and type of buffing pads, etc. that are required.

I'd contact the company for their suggestions before diving in. This may be a waste of time, admittedly, as you may never find the answer...but then again, you just might. What works on one paint may not work the same on another. One real risk is creating "halos" around the buffed area that end up being more noticeable than the original flaw.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
radicalcy

Post by radicalcy »

Tim,
Thanks. I guess I'll need to be extra careful, and hope for the best as concerns insects in the paint. It has been suggested on another list, that I thin down the last coat, which will slow down the curing process, and may give me time to pluck out any bugs, and re-tip the area. Well, off to wet sand again. It rained on the second coat yesterday and I need to fix that.
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

Larry,
Here is a picture of the "nibs" we use at work; they are also known as paint planes.
They come in 3 styles (left to right), course, medium and fine. As the name suggests, they are used to "plane" the sag or run or drip (whatever you call it) off the hull. Once removed, switch to sandpaper and eventually rubbing compounds and creams. Hope this helps.
Doug
Karen Blixen
radicalcy

Nibs

Post by radicalcy »

Great photo. Thanks for the info. If I can find them, I'm sure they'll come in handy. Not too many sags, a few runs.
Larry
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
radicalcy

Locating paint nibs

Post by radicalcy »

Doug,
I did a Google on paint nibs, paint planes, abrasive nibs, abrasive nibs, etc. I haven't been able to locate a source. Any suggestions where I may find them?
Larry Wilson
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

Try an automotive paint supply store. In fact, I just did a quick online search, here is one link for you:http://www.welleauto.com/cgi-bin/surfsh ... emid=MGGF1. They call theirs a "run razor." Fairly inexpensive, too. Look around some before you decide on one though.

Hope that helps.
Doug
Karen Blixen
radicalcy

Post by radicalcy »

Thanks Doug. I'll look around some more, maybe order the one in your link. In the meantime, I bought a pack of 1500 grit wet/dry, and worked an area about 2' X 3'. It took the runs right off,cleaned up the dust/pollen problem, and the scratches come out using 3M Scratch Remover compound. It feels like glass and almost all of the uneven brush marks are gone. I estimate about 2 hours a side, and I'll be done.
Larry
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

You're welcome. It is a slow process to do this, but the results can really be worth it. Keep posting pics in the projects area--I look forward to seeing more.
Doug
Karen Blixen
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

NIBS!!

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Better late than never!!!

Nibs from eastwood. Car restoration supplier. TONS of great stuff.

http://eastwood.com/shopping/product/de ... uctID=1770
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

To be filed under "If All Else Fails":
I bought a 3-pack of nibs from my auto paint supplier a handful of years ago for use on some auto body work. Perhaps there's a trick to using them that I didn't give myself time to master, but I really had much better luck shaving down runs with a fresh razor blade.