Finding a place to work?

This is the place for information on various types of permanent and temporary boat shops and other project shelters.
Howard

Finding a place to work?

Post by Howard »

I have found what appears to be a deal on a boat, but it's in New Hampshire, in the owner's yard. It needs about a month or two of steady work before it could be ready to cruise. (needs to be painted, windows replaced, and considerable interior work). The current owner started a considerable re-fit, but has purchased a newer boat and just wants his money out of the old boat. The re-fit is about half done, and most of the work is just re-installing hardware and fixtures.

Are there places on the Maine coast that can be borrowed or rented, with access to some shop tools? I'd need to live on or near the boat, as I don't live in the area, but do plan to start my cruise from the coast of Maine. I suppose you could rent space from a yard, but that doesn't help out with the shop tools. I'd have my own power tools.

Any advice would be appreciated.
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

place to work in maine

Post by The Good Goose »

Try Spruce head marine in,oddly enough, Spruce Head Maine. I kept a boat there years ago and they were very helpful and ok about people living and working on their boats. Their rates were reasonable too.

Brock
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Most of the people I know who have managed to get their boats inside somewhere (other than those crazy enough to build a structure just for that purpose, like me) have found their locations simply by noticing a likely building somewhere on their normal commute or some such, and eventually approaching the owner about possibly using the space. This takes some initiative and familiarity with the local area, but it has been known to work.

Now, access to someone else's tools is something else entirely, and I think is going to be tough to come by. But you never know! I hate to say it, but in this day of lawsuits and lack of personal responsibility, shop owners can hardly be blamed for being even less apt to let someone else use their space and equipment then ever.

Some boatyards will be more willing to talk about long-term project storage than others. My own feeling is that smaller yards are much more likely to be interested in talking about some sort of deal for you. Fortunately, Maine is full of such small yards. Stay away from the big ones because, frankly, they don't need or want some long-term boat clogging things up and will be unwilling to provide the space for anyting but the full regular storage charge.

Fortunately, as far as I know you are more than able to do all your own work without bother in Maine boatyards. Again, steer clear of the stuffy ones in the "we cater to people who don't really live in Maine" harbors. But these are the exception not the rule. Given Brock's suggestion above, I would check out Spruce Head.

Note also that there are plenty of boat places not directly on the waterfront in Maine. These are worth considering and are a dime a dozen. Locating them can be tougher, and you won't find the place you're looking for online, most likely.

Good luck!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
chrisk

Post by chrisk »

Where in New Hampshire is it. Try idependent Boat haulers in Elliot Me. Great guys to deal with. Our boat winters there http://www.independentboat.com/index.htm