30' Bill Tripp Seafarer

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

30' Bill Tripp Seafarer

Post by MQMurphy »

On Ebay - about seven and a half hours to go.
Click here.
A project, for sure, but mmmmmm . . .
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

This has got your name all over it, Tim. Current bid is 202.

If only you had a trailer...
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I did not even see this post. Which means I can't think about it, or even wonder if this is one of the boats built in Holland.
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by JonnyBoats »

I did not even see this post. Which means I can't think about it, or even wonder if this is one of the boats built in Holland.
If boats from Holland improve your eyesight, how ahout a LeComte? http://www.lecomteowners.com/index.php? ... 63&catid=6
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Going by the shape of the large, fixed ports (yeah, I looked), I would guess this was one of the boats built by Mechan's, in Scotland. If so it must be the same as AJ's boat.

Sure is pretty. Blue Moon is a name I've been considering:

The auction mentions keel repair: I wonder what's going on here?

Side note to AJ: I was looking at the front of the engine compartment to see if this boat has those two through-hull projections that you were asking about at one time. The photo is kind of dark, but perhaps with some creative lightening, you would be able to see better.

Rachel

PS JonnyBoats: Yep, those are nice boats!
AJ
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by AJ »

Rachel wrote:Going by the shape of the large, fixed ports (yeah, I looked), I would guess this was one of the boats built by Mechan's, in Scotland. If so it must be the same as AJ's boat.
Judging by the carpentry details in her fit & finish I'd agree that she's also a Mechan's product. Same year as my boat too; I wish we had her hull number! I've also been thinking that all of the Seafarer Tripp 30s might have built in Scotland starting in 1963. I can't imagine that De Vries Lentsch's decision to team up with Tripp to put the Tripp-Lentsch 29 into production was a big hit with the folks over at Seafarer Yachts. I also wonder if the decision to fit the larger portlights reflects a desire for increased natural lighting below or simply a move to make the Tripp 30 look more modern with the TL 29 specifically in mind.

These photos also answer a few questions I've had about how the interior on my boat originally looked. I had suspected the settees were rebuilt higher to increase storage, and the settees on Blue Moon are definitely low slung. The photos also show the design of the lift-out companionway steps that were replaced with more permanent steps in my boat as well as the cabinetry in the V-berth which has been removed in mine.
The auction mentions keel repair: I wonder what's going on here?
Yeah, there's that big white rectangular patch looking thing on the keel... the listing does claim the repairs are "done." There's also that rubbing damage on the side of the port bow. It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like there also may be water damage to the interior wood. Hmm.
Side note to AJ: I was looking at the front of the engine compartment to see if this boat has those two through-hull projections that you were asking about at one time. The photo is kind of dark, but perhaps with some creative lightening, you would be able to see better.
Wow, I'm amazed that you remember that! I think the photos are clear enough, especially when you follow the link to the supersize photos, to show that there are no sign of the capped thru-hulls that are present near the companionway steps in my boat.

If I didn't already own one, I'd definitely be thinking about this listing... I just can't justify owning two of the same boat to myself! I'd hate to see the boat sell for the current bid though as it increases the likelihood that the winning bidder is one of the boat scrappers who lurk on eBay, snap up these distressed boats with low minimum bids, strip the hull of anything salvageable, and then deposit the remains of the hull in the nearest landfill. :-(

AJ
AJ
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by AJ »

AJ wrote:I think the photos are clear enough, especially when you follow the link to the supersize photos, to show that there are no sign of the capped thru-hulls that are present near the companionway steps in my boat.
Upon further review... There does appear to be something tubular projecting up towards the port side of the A4 in the supersize photo:

http://www.boatangel.org/photos/Mannino ... 000009.jpg

AJ
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Is it just that last photo, or do these boats have one wicked angle on the rudder post?

That really is a sweet design, though. Great sheerline.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I think they have a "wicked" angle. I'm not sure which is cause and which effect, but the after end of the keel is also further forward than I'm used to seeing. Even with the great angle, the tiller comes out in the middle of the cockpit (vs. at the after end) on this boat and on the T/L 29. That, combined with the really high bridge deck puts the person at the helm right at the front of the cockpit seating.

When I first thought about that I figured I wouldn't like it; however I spoke with a friend who owned one of those boats for years, and he considered it a feature. Said it kept the weight forward and the helmsperson sheltered, plus it was a snap to reach in for a cup of coffee :-)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Mr. Tripp sure knew his way around a sheerline (and overhangs). This picture says it all.

I see the boat "sold" for $355, which is probably about what she's worth, given what it would take to really make her nice again. What a mess...but a beautiful design to build from. (If that's the intention of the winning bidder, which it may not be, unfortunately...)

Yes, if I had my own hydraulic trailer I might have considered a bid here. I don't. Yet.

AJ wrote:...but it looks like there also may be water damage to the interior wood.
I had to chuckle at this. I think there's a lot of water--and other--damage to everything here!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Scout

Post by Scout »

Needless to say, we are partial to Tripp designs as well...

Here's a picture of Mollywalk (a sistership to Scout) sent to us by owners a few years ago, sorry about the poor scan quality but there is no missing those overhangs.

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/ ... alk001.jpg[/img][/img]
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Cool photo! I love the "we don't have Brownell stands here" improvising.

I guessing the name is actually "Mollymawk" (a bird) and that's the Zydler's boat. They wrote "The Panama Guide," and have been cruising her engineless for years. Having cruised in some of the waters they documented, I have to say that must be one great-sailing boat! (And that they are no slouches either.)

NB: I don't know them; I got that info from the book jacket.
Scout

Post by Scout »

Thanks Rachel, you are right, Mollymawk, the bird. Too early in the morning after an entire day of being a human upsidedown U (rolling the deck with a short handled roller).

Although I don't 'know' the Zydlers, I have spoken to them and corresponded.

When we were pondering buying Scout and after we bought her I went on a tear of finding other Invicta owners, in fact, that's how I found this site.