Let's talk Nonsuch

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Let's talk Nonsuch

Post by Figment »

I know they're not exactly "Classic" (yet), but they're certainly classically inspired. How have we not had a Nonsuch thread around here?

They look kinda goofy sitting at a mooring. They look REALLY goofy penned into a dock. Under sail, however, I'm always amazed at how well these boats move.
Well, I've never been on one. I should rephrase the above to read I'm always amazed at how well these boats move right past me.

They have some strange yet undeniable appeal. A Hinterhoeller (sp?) build of a Mark Ellis design doesn't leave much to be desired, as far as I can tell. Does anyone here have any experience on a Nonsuch?

dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

My inlaws are boat-watching a Nonsuch this summer, so I'll be interested to see one up close, and maybe try her out for a sail! I'll report back here...
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Take a look at this board-

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/catboat/index.cgi

Catboat forum, offshoot of TSBB. Happens to be a very recent post with pics by a guy sailing a Nonsuch 33.
Scout

Post by Scout »

My father, in his later years, always lusted for one. For that reason, I always think of them as an old man's boat.

I've known a few people who have owned one and they both loved them (one older and one younger or....ahem, my age). Been aboard but never under sail. VERY comodious belows.
fusto
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Erebus
Boat Type: Apollo 16

Post by fusto »

We had one in the yard last summer and I got to spend a couple of days here and there out sailing on her.
They are really surprisingly easy to sail. Especially short handed.

Not a huge fan of the look, but pretty nice boats overall.

Comfy cockpit too.
Zachary
Adams, MA
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The more I look at those, the more I come around. Most of the ones I see look pretty boring (like most production boats), as they lack much in the way of brightwork and interesting trim details, but it'd be easy to dress one up appropriately and make it look a bit more like a true classic cat.

They sail like nobody's business. Impressive, really...particularly given the ease of the process. One sail. No standing rigging. No annoying genoas to get hung up while tacking. Turn the wheel to tack--that's it. No boom to smack you in the head in the cockpit. Drop the halyard and the main comes down and lands nicely in the netting beneath the wishbone--no fuss, no muss.

They are sort of old-man boats, mainly because of their ease of handling and sailing, which tends to attract older and becoming less-able people. They keep a lot of older people sailing, who might otherwise not be able to handle a traditional rig. That's great.

They are huge below, and have huge and comfy cockpits. The mast doesn't intrude at all into the interior--nice.

They sail really well. They are fast. They point surprisingly well. They are stiff and dry.

If you're into dinghy davits (and I'm becoming more of a fan of those too, though they're always ugly), the broad transom is perfect for this use.

Apparently, I have become a fan without my knowledge. But I've found myself looking appreciably at Nonsuches more and more over the past couple years.

Is there a stigma attached to these boats? I don't think so, any longer. There was when the N-30 first came out way back when. (It's been quite a while now...) But they have become accepted, even in traditional circles. And for good reason, I think. The wishbone is a bit ungainly at rest, and as a result a Nonsuch will likely never be the most attractive boat in any harbor (unless the harbor is populated with modern Hunters...).

I think they'd look great with elliptical ports more in keeping with a Marshall Catboat, or some such. The boring mass-produced plastic ports these and every other boat in the world comes with just don't add to the look.

Cons: I think they're sort of pricey on the used market, in general.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment

Post by Figment »

I had the same reaction to the prices, but then it occurred to me that I'm accustomed to looking at boats that are generally 20 years older. If you work the numbers through the PHRF I'd venture to guess that they're not so outlandish.

PRICE Handicap Recognition Formula:

Start with the price of the boat, plus the cost of whatever you think you'd need to do to it to bring it up to your standards. (diesel, refrigeration, electronics, sails, interiors, etc.).
Add 1.7% to that price for each year of age for Corrected Price.
Add waterline length to displacement (in tons), divide by two, for Corrected Size.
Divide Corrected Price by Corrected Size.
The boat with the lower number is the better bargain.
;)
s/v Groovy
Master Varnisher

Post by s/v Groovy »

Back when I was thinking about living aboard, I almost bought one, a 30 Ultra . Pullman birth, head with separate shower, practically a dining room, etc. She was in a charter fleet and still over 55k (in 1999) for an '83 as I remember. I guess not many people wanted to take her out.

Well made, and better looking than most modern boats IMO. If I had to say something bad, without a shroud or backstay, what do you hold onto when nature calls?
Gregg
Pearson Renegade #145
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Normally I stick pretty close to my long & skinny with huge overhangs boat fetish but I also have a bizarre attraction to catboats. Up in the San Juan Islands I try to catch every boat I can in my little 16' waterline Bluenose Sloop. It is rare that I can't catch one. But I have a clear relocation of not being able to catch a Nonsuch. Not only was she faster, she was also out pointing me. I was stunned since they are huge inside and much more comfortable than most of the boats I see cruising. Without having ever been in one or sailed one, if I was looking for a cruising boat I would certainly take a look.
Figment

Post by Figment »

s/v Groovy wrote: without a shroud or backstay, what do you hold onto when nature calls?
Dinghy davits, of course!
;)

Coincidentally, this thread is very well timed. Last night I learned that the big race coming up this weekend could have as many as 30 nonsuch boats! I hope they get their own start. Even if not, I should have ample opportunity to ogle.
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

I've sailed one

Post by Al »

I sailed on a Nonsuch 26 about 4 years ago when I was considering buying one. It was a windy fall day on the Chesapeake and the seas were choppy. I had a blast. Given the short waterline, it was not as smooth as a larger boat, but I was left with the feeling that I'd been zipping around in a sports car. All Nonsuches are the biggest boat per foot in the market. The room in a 26 is suprising, the room in a 30 is amazing, and I'll let yuou supply your own adjective for the 33.

They are also very stiff boats. A few years ago, I was in Toronto on business in the fall and watched as one by one the sailboats on the lake headed in as the wind picked up. The last boat out was a Nonsuch 30 and it was barely heeling.

There is a very active owners association, so odd parts are still available because they commission them. They have also held their value remarkably well for a brand that hasn't been built in almiost 20 years.

As you can tell, I'm a fan and still may buy one one day.
Al Lorman