Launch Day

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Scout

Launch Day

Post by Scout »

With luck!

Friday night we went into the slings for a first of the morning launch on Sataurday. Being in the slings allows us to lower the centerboard, paint it and most importantly change out the cable. Needless to say it looked fine but we had a new one (just a little bit thicker/stronger). Well, guess what, the two lines separated mid fish. We went at it for hours to no avail. The next morning, between the yard guys, a 45 minute - one way - ride to the rigger for another new cable (smaller), dash back, fish that one through successfully but not without trial. So in the water we go, check the thru hulls, all is well....except there is a little trickle coming from underneath the plate of the first shieve (sp?) box for the cb cable. At least that is what we think. So yesterday we remove this glassed in wood battery box which we used for storage as it blocked full view and access to this plate. Much discussion, as can only go on in a boatyard, fiberglass the hell out of it but bond to what or 5200 the bejusus out of it etc. We went for the latter and are going in again in 2 hours. Wish us luck. I only wish that it could be a shared moment but my love has to be at work.

We could slide a file underneath the forward edge of the plate. Hopefully that was the only source and it is now air tight. If not, it was not a gusher, just a trickle so I think we will stay in and monitor and hope that harbor sludge plugs it up. It's been a long winter.
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Scout.

Congrats on the launch!

Your centerboard system looks identical to the one on my 1974 Pearson 39. I hate the fact that these sheaves (stainless) and conduit (red brass-- not bronze) are underwater.

On mine, I think the forward sheave is jammed, but its really hard to tell. I'm looking at some options to replace, including possibly FRP sheave boxes, but it won't happen till next year's haulout. Let me know if you'd be interested in working out a design and other options. I have a machinist friend in CT I'm working with on it.
Invitation
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Invitation »

Bryan & Nav,

Congratulations on your launch! Scout looks fantastic, a huge improvement with her decks and topsides painted. You two did a great job.
Scout

Post by Scout »

Thanks Scottie. Looking forward to a good old fashioned raft up in July.

Ceasar, let's talk about that.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Congratulations! You must be pleased with the results of all your hard work. Enjoy her!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating