Tartan 33--Classic?

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Bristol29
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Tartan 33--Classic?

Post by Bristol29 »

I have been lusting after the tartan 34C for months now, and have gotten on a few to have a look. But I have to admit that the tartan 33 has really caught my eye. It seems to incorporate (as the ad copy suggests) many of the good qualities of the 3o and 34. The 33 is less cluttered below, and has the steering station aft in the cockpit, which I like. Is the 33 as good a boat?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The 33 is a more "modern" boat, and I'm sure it has a lot more room on deck and below than its more traditional siblings (the 30 and 34C). To me, the 33 has a completely different personality and appearance than the 34C, so attempting to compare the two isn't really fair. They're different boats from different eras, with different design mantras and phiosophies.

What it comes down to is this: Tartan is generally well-thought of in terms of the build quality and execution of their boats. So from this standpoint the 33 could be a good choice. If you like the boat, that's what really matters, though. None of the rest matters.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Coronado23
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by Coronado23 »

*My latest trail of upgrade sailboatlust began with Chinook 34 and
led to Tartan 34 Morgan 34 and Bristol 35 all Centerboard keel's
with pert afts... Pearson35 also seems good to dream about.

A Morgan in currently on E-bay in Seattle... disturbing my sleep.
Coronado23, Columbia River