Alberg 22

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Alberg 22

Post by Duncan »

Probably the prettiest boat in our mooring field.

According to The Alberg 22 Site (link) the design was commissioned from Carl Alberg by a Canadian builder, Doug Badgley, in 1962 or 1963.

Of course, my (Paceship) Eastwind will look better once I get the diesel in and get the "wasp" off the transom ;)

Cape Dory 10 & 27
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Aha! I never would have guessed that one (from the earlier, transom-only shot).

One of the hints was that the "star" in the name had some significance. Maybe I'm slow today, but I'm not making the connection.... ?

Rachel
Bluenose
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

So Duncan here is my unsolicited two cents. You mentioned in my Launch Day post:
Boy, she looks nice!

I couldn't help thinking of the family resemblance to my (McVay-designed) Paceship Eastwind. If you ignore the cabintop, the hulls are quite similar.
Well they are a bit different but also a bit similar. My Bluenose definitely comes from a racing heritage and their under bodies vary a bit as shown below.

Bluenose

Eastwind

And here is a comparison between the specs of our two boats.

Of course, my (Paceship) Eastwind will look better once I get the diesel in and get the "wasp" off the transom ;)
Your Eastwind has a respectable amount of sail area. So I say pitch the outboard and forget the diesel. For the savings buy a new full battened mainsail, a great over lapping Genoa (even roller furling if you need to) and a big Asym to tack to your bow. The diesel and all its gear might be 10 to 15 percent of your weight which might cost you over an inch in sunken waterline. She has a nice shallow draft so you could sail her in and out of anywhere. I have found that the most difficult part of sailing without an engine is deciding to.

Well just my two cent.

We now continue with our regularly scheduled program.

Bill
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Rachel wrote:Aha! I never would have guessed that one (from the earlier, transom-only shot).

One of the hints was that the "star" in the name had some significance. Maybe I'm slow today, but I'm not making the connection.... ?

Rachel
I was confused, and thinking of Bristol Sailstar when I wrote that, sorry! (They all sort of get run together in my mind at times). There is an obscure connection, though, as the Alberg 22 site mentions some of these were sold as "Day Stars".
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Bluenose wrote:Well they are a bit different but also a bit similar. My Bluenose definitely comes from a racing heritage and their under bodies vary a bit as shown below.
You're quite right, of course, and I had almost edited my post afterwards when I realized that. Thanks for putting it so diplomatically!

The keels are completely different, as you say, and the boats are quite different in many other ways, too, of course. I did see a family resemblance, maybe an impression of the sheer, I suppose, and the similar colour scheme sort of reinforced that. I imagine McVay was "influenced" by the look of the Bluenose, and his experience with building them - that might have been a better way of putting it?
Bluenose wrote:Your Eastwind has a respectable amount of sail area. So I say pitch the outboard and forget the diesel. For the savings buy a new full battened mainsail, a great over lapping Genoa (even roller furling if you need to) and a big Asym to tack to your bow. The diesel and all its gear might be 10 to 15 percent of your weight which might cost you over an inch in sunken waterline. She has a nice shallow draft so you could sail her in and out of anywhere. I have found that the most difficult part of sailing without an engine is deciding to.
Pitch the outboard, for sure! (That was an add-on to get her to Montreal from Buzzard's Bay via New York, the rivers, the canals, and so on.)

Kudos to you, I think engines can be a quite a distraction: I give myself a little "star" in the logbook any day that I don't use it. (I have also found I can propel the boat surprisingly well at close quarters just by wagging the rudder). I am "pretty sure" this boat would be suited to sweeps or a sculling oar, but that has been just idle speculation to this point.

The diesel has been an ongoing project. It was missing when I bought the boat, but I got lucky and found an engine of the original type (Volvo MD1). I've (mostly) rebuilt it, and learned enough in the process that I am keen to keep on. Many of the Eastwinds have lost their inboards by now, so it's sort of a "restoration".

A new mainsail is definitely in the cards, since the existing one is original (1966)! The jib on the roller is a high-cut yankee (about 110%), which I really like. I have a reacher, a spinnaker, and a storm jib, so pretty well set for foresails at this point.

It's very nice to see your Bluenose going strong, I'll try and get some pictures of the Eastwind sailing one these days!
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Just so you don't all think I've lost it, Duncan sent me a pm to mention that the "What boat is this?" mystery post was actually on another forum (Renegade Cruisers). The funny thing is that I only look at it very occasionally, but the last time I was there I saw that Duncan had posted a "mystery boat" puzzler, so I had to click on it (that's where the star was mentioned as a clue).

I wondered about the change of thread title, but figured he had done it by some clever method.

So that's why I was rambling about clues and stars and such.

Rachel
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Rachel wrote:Just so you don't all think I've lost it...that's why I was rambling about clues and stars and such.
I was sort of wondering what you were talking about! I must have reread the original post several times trying to find these clues.

Now I can rest.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating