A Little Six Metre Inspiration

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

A Little Six Metre Inspiration

Post by Bluenose »

I rushed through work this morning so I could grab an afternoon sail. It was a bit overcast and cold so most boats were motoring in. But lo and behold there was a classic looking boat sailing out of Friday Harbor, San Juan Island. As I got closer (and I always get closer to beautiful boats) I realized it was a Six Metre. She was being singlehanded and the owner would sail for a while then go forward and adjust something while she happily sailed herself.

I often try to keep up with the boats I am sailing next to and it is rare for me to fall behind. But I am 0 for 2 this season. On Wednesday an Aphrodite 101 left me behind and today there was no doubt about the outcome with the Six Metre. I guess my 16 foot waterline didn't impress them much. I find it amazing just watching boats like this sail. The grace and efficiency is breathtaking.

Here is the info I found from the North American Six Metre site:
Boat Name: Oslooslo in the 30's
Sail: N 22
Year Built: 1926
Designer: Johan Anker
Builder: Anker & Jensen
Owner: Giese Family

Owned for many years by the Giese family. Hans Otto Giese was a prominent 6 meter sailor and tireless promoter of the class for many years. Oslo was the first six meter to come to the Pacific Northwest and was well known in the winner's circle in the 30's, 40's and 50's. Oslo was a familiar and formidable opponent on Lake Washington in the 60's and Mr. Giese's so-called "Cold War" tactics could never be discounted. She is still in racing trim and immaculately maintained with her original wood spars and old fashioned small jib. Oslo spends most of her time in the San Juan Islands, about 60 miles north of Seattle, occasionally competing in local races like the Shaw Island Classic.
This was a bit inspirational since my Shields Bolero shares some kinship with these old Metre boats.

Bill
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Bill wrote:On Wednesday an Aphrodite 101 left me behind
Bill, I know of an Aphrodite 101 that lives in the Fish Creek area, just north of Cattle Point on San Juan Island. I shot a couple of pictures of her outside Victoria Harbor last summer ... she is a beauty, although headroom is NOT an option.

Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

she is a beauty, although headroom is NOT an option
That is a definite fact. But this is where the trade-off of sailing verses accommodations comes in. The Aphrodite 101 is a sailboat that I imagine can sail almost anytime, anywhere in the fickle winds and currents of the San Juan Islands. It is not so much that you can't sail up here (verses motoring) it is just that most people would be uncomfortable with the consequences (lack of a plush interior) that comes with getting a sailboat that is capable of doing it.

I looked quite seriously at these boats and actually just missed a great deal on one that had a blown engine. I don't regret missing it though since one of their weeknesses is their draft. I would have really needed to up my skill set to sail one of these out of Fisherman's bay with its one and a half fathom depth.