Another 'What is it'

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Stubrow
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Voidoid V
Boat Type: Judel Vrolijk 33

Another 'What is it'

Post by Stubrow »

Only information I have, (may or may not be correct), 'designed by Philip Hughes and built in Lunenburg N.S.,1954.' But it looks like a glass boat in one of the photos. If that's the case, the year probably wouldn't be right. Posted just on the outside chance that someone might recognize it.

Thanks
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT
sailboatdata.com
Attachments
a_mystery2.jpg
a_mystery1.jpg
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
http://sailboatdata.com
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Re: Another 'What is it'

Post by Brodie »

Based on the look of the boat and the very helpful logo on the mainsail, I'd say that is an Evergreen class sloop designed by Philip Rhodes. From the information I have in my book of Rhodes' designs, the boats were built in wood as a racing class in the Pacific Northwest. Dimensions 36' LOA 24' LWL 7'4" beam, 5' draft, 472 sq ft sail area.
Stubrow

Post by Stubrow »

Brodie wrote:Based on the look of the boat and the very helpful logo on the mainsail, I'd say that is an Evergreen class sloop designed by Philip Rhodes. From the information I have in my book of Rhodes' designs, the boats were built in wood as a racing class in the Pacific Northwest. Dimensions 36' LOA 24' LWL 7'4" beam, 5' draft, 472 sq ft sail area.
Thanks very much, Brodie. I need to get that book.

Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

For some reason I feel that a boat thread just needs a photo of the sail plan.

We have one that sails out of Friday Harbor on San Juan Island that we ran into last year. A thing of beauty and fast. But unfortunately It was the one time I forgot our camera. I will try to chase her down this summer and get some photos.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

This might also be useful, for future reference: A guide to mainsail logos, courtesy of the Montgomery sailboat owners' photo site (it's 2.8 mb):

http://www.msogphotosite.com/MSOG/pdfpage/mslogo.pdf

Rachel
Stubrow

Post by Stubrow »

You beat me to it with the drawing. Saw the link you had posted in the classified section.

Really is a beauty. wondering if the one in the ad is the same boat. They can't have built too many of these.
rb
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

Hey Randy--do you put up sailboatdata.com? What a GREAT site! A wonderful service to all--how did you collect all that information???
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Stubrow

Post by Stubrow »

Richincident wrote:Hey Randy--do you put up sailboatdata.com? What a GREAT site! A wonderful service to all--how did you collect all that information???
Thanks for the compliment and I'm glad you find it useful.
To make a very long story short:
Many years ago I was in the sail making business and had drawers full of old brochures that I was going to throw out. And then I was immobilized for 6 months recovering from a leg injury when I started fooling around with .asp and databases. (still little more than a hack coder). Along the way, another guy gave me a bunch more stuff. Fooled around with it for about a year before I even thought about make it 'public'. Then a hobby turned into an obsession. (spending hours looking for information on some obscure designer etc.) I had to just walk away from it for a few months.

As an aside, last month, I was invited to this guys house who had been in the brokerage business for more than 60 years. His entire house is a library of boating brochures. Every wall is covered with shelves of the stuff. He told me his first job was working for John Alden! Has every flier for every boat that has been printed in the last 60 years. Blueprints etc. It's all organized. Just off the top of my head I asked him if had something which I thought was pretty obscure. Immediately we went to the basement, (also every wall covered with shelves full of neatly organized folios.) But instantly he went to a particular folder, and there it was.

Unfortunately, I can't say I have any more than very limited access to it. A number of brokers call him when they need something which is probably annoying to him. Plus, apparently there are a number of people who are 'standing in line' to buy the whole collection. Not the kind of thing I want to be involved with.

As far as the site goes, it's sort of outgrown it's very primitive inface and appearance. It's possible that I may just pay someone to redo it. But at the moment, I'm a bit tight for funds.

Well, as usual, I went on a little longer than I intended.

Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

Randy - I sure hope the Mystic Seaport or some other museum gets that guy's huge collection of boat brochures.

Then the brochures could be scanned and put online. Old brochures like that are not common and a fire or a flood can wipe em' out pretty quick.

- Case
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

I haven't yet tried to find anything and NOT found it on Sailboatdata.com. You have done an amazing job! I agree that the collection you saw needs to become available somewhere like Mystic. I was VERY surprised when you had the Soverel 28 MORC II as a separate entity--and the difference between the three versions so well explained.

Since there were only 90 altogether, that was somewhat of a surprise!

THANK YOU for all you have done to make researching sailboats so much easier. Awesome effort!
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Stubrow

Post by Stubrow »

Case wrote:Randy - I sure hope the Mystic Seaport or some other museum gets that guy's huge collection of boat brochures.

Then the brochures could be scanned and put online. Old brochures like that are not common and a fire or a flood can wipe em' out pretty quick.

- Case
Yes, something like that would be the best case scenario. (though I'm not sure that Mystic would be the right 'venue'.) I was going to offer to cataloger and digitize the whole thing for him.(although it would probably take years!!).
But, before I could, he told me that someone else had already offered to do the same. He didn't really see the point since he had it all organized already and he knew exactly where everything was.
It certainly would be great if it all became publicly available. At the time, I just felt privileged to be there. I wasn't in any position to get into some kind of 'when you DIE' type discussion. I am thinking of contacting him again concerning some extremely rare, obscure sailboat arcana, (which, of course he WILL have), just to see how things are going.
rb
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA