Dremel Multi Max

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Polecat

Dremel Multi Max

Post by Polecat »

Has anyone tried it out? The tools attachments though limited from what I've seen are considerably cheaper - than Fein. How does the quality compare? I wonder if the attachments are interchangeable?
jim
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I have no first-hand experience with it, but it just so happens that a friend of mine recently posted a link to this "Tool Snob" round-up of the new oscillating tools (I guess Fein's patent expired). I haven't even had a chance to read it yet, so I can't comment, but with that disclaimer collection, here it is:

http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/2008/1 ... oundup.php

Rachel
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

I have just purchased one on the recommendation of a fellow who sells both. I have not had a chance to use it yet, but I hope to next week. I will be glad to give a report on it as soon as I have a chance. As far as I can tell, the Fein attachments can be used on the Dremel machine. Being as the tool is relatively new, I had to shop several stores to get all the attachments I wanted.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Polecat

Dremel Multi Max

Post by Polecat »

Rachel - Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware that the Fein patent had expired. Sorry still no pictures -------
Many opinions & you can get all the specs on Fein,Bosch,Rockwell & Dremel.

Earlylight - Lowes carries the new Dremel around here - only tools I've found are the basic set. I sure wish they'd all designed for the same tool arbor. Be very interested to find it can use the fein tools & vice versa.
I like the looks of the rockwell. $180 with a cloth carrying case &72 tool set
jim
Maine Sail
Skilled Systems Installer

Bought one

Post by Maine Sail »

Bought a Dremel Multi-Max and it works very well. While it's no Fein the whole tool with blades cost less than one or two Fein blades....
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
Capn_Tom
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

I noticed that the attachments are labeled as compatible with the Fein. I was going to purchase a saw blade but my Lowes was out of them. Regardless a bit of competition might lead to Fein lowering the cost of their accessories.
The board does not cut itself short!
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Capn_Tom wrote:I noticed that the attachments are labeled as compatible with the Fein. I was going to purchase a saw blade but my Lowes was out of them. Regardless a bit of competition might lead to Fein lowering the cost of their accessories.
*Trumpets sound from heaven*

Best news I've heard this month. (Grin)

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

I went to Amazon to read the reviews. They are not so hot. First off it is only for wood. Second common thread is that the head heats up to the point were they were questioning the longevity of the tool and third, the blades, which are not cheap, dull quickly. I am still going to go with the Fein. The tool cost is not outrageous, it is the cost of the replacement blades that gives me heartburn.

By the way, Amazon is having a sale $100 off on the Fein 250Q (top gun.) It brings the price down to what Jamestown has had it since well before Christmas ($399.)

Cheers
Dennis
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Maine Sail

I have cut

Post by Maine Sail »

I have used mine to cut both wood and fiberglass with no issues and no heat up. You could buy four Multi-Max tools for the price of one Fein and for the amount a non pro would use it I think it should last a while. I will let your guys know when and if I kill it..
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
earlylight
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Well, I promised to post my thoughts on the Dremel Multi Max. This morning I tried using it to cut some 1/4 inch teak and holly ply for cabin sole and after a mere 4 minutes, the motor stopped. I went back to Lowes and tried to return it. I had lost the receipt, but the store manager agreed that it had only seen momentary use buy the looks of the tool and all of its original accessories. HOWEVER, I was told that Lowe's "Corporate Policy" was that without a receipt, there was nothing they could do. I told them that was a hell of an attitude in these times of a poor economy but that there was a LOT I could do. I am a partner in a home building business and I cancelled our contractor's account on the spot (he lost about $700 K to $800 K in annual business). Got to love these "managers" who go off half cocked and think they have all the answers. Needless to say, I bouight a Fein Multi Mate from one of Lowe's competitors.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
David

Post by David »

The Fein is a beast. Here's a vid I posted on YouTube of cutting off flush a solid glass winch base. It took about 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eipijz1wgu0
Capn_Tom

Post by Capn_Tom »

I did finally pick up one of the Dremel blades for my Multi Master. It mounted well and initial cuts in wood were excellent. I can't speak for longevity but it was only $9.95.
Maine Sail

I bought..

Post by Maine Sail »

I bought the Fein Multi_master too.. While the Dremel is a fine tool especially for the price there is no comparison to the Multi-Master. After trying to cut a square opening in some G-10 with the Dremel, where a jig saw would not fit I broke down and bought the Fein. WOW!! I had remembered it being great from my boat yard days but when you have something to compare it to...sheesh
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

There is a similar thread going on right now in the Messing-About forums. The consensus there seems to be that the knock offs are cheaper, but no one makes it nearly as well. The Fein is expensive, but worth it. What I'm hoping is that the other brand blades are as good but cheaper as I already own the Fein.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hirilondë wrote:What I'm hoping is that the other brand blades are as good but cheaper...
That's what I'm hoping too. I don't mind paying for a good tool, but the cost of blades is a bit painful.

I remember the first time I used a Multi-Master, back in about 1998 when I was cutting the wet deck core out of my Monty 17, prior to re-coring. A friend was going to loan his Multi-Master to me, and I was on my way to the store to buy my own blades.

He pulled out a brand-new segmented blade to show it to me, and just then it slipped and dropped to the ground, breaking instantly in half. We both just stared at it in silence and horror, mouths agape. There went $50, without even trying.

Rachel
rshowarth

New Multi Master

Post by rshowarth »

I recall that Fein redesigned the MultiMaster attachment points to a "star" shape. The new Rockwell, Dremel, etc seem to have a round hole where the blades attach to the drive. Are the new product accessories compatible with the new MultiMaster?
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Re: New Multi Master

Post by Hirilondë »

rshowarth wrote:I recall that Fein redesigned the MultiMaster attachment points to a "star" shape. The new Rockwell, Dremel, etc seem to have a round hole where the blades attach to the drive. Are the new product accessories compatible with the new MultiMaster?
I don't know. But they are fools if they don't design them compatible. I would surely want to steal any of Fein's market share I could.
Dave Finnegan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Drew
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Drew »

I can't speak for the Fein products but the blades for the Dremel, which is Bosch, are made by Scintilla in St. Niklaus Switzerland. Scintilla is also Bosch.

I can say that the heat treatment and the quality control at the St. Niklaus plant are both excellent.

The brands of tools especially blades can be very confusing. For example: Scintilla in St. Niklaus produces about 60% of the worlds consumption of Bi-metal Jigsaw and saber saw blades. Many brands are represented, even competitors, but they are all made on contract by Scintilla, which is Bosch. They are produced by the same people, on the same machines and are not separated until the finishing department when they are painted/printed/Laser marked.

Drew
Capn_Tom

Post by Capn_Tom »

I recall that Fein redesigned the MultiMaster attachment points to a "star" shape.
It seemed to me that the star pattern was designed more to create a bit of flex in the blade around the arbor to improve the clamping power of the set screw. I believe the new Fein blades fit the older model Fein so I assume the Dremel blades would fit both as well.

I have the older model multi master and the Dremel blades mount securely.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

Capn_Tom wrote: It seemed to me that the star pattern was designed more to create a bit of flex in the blade around the arbor to improve the clamping power of the set screw. I believe the new Fein blades fit the older model Fein so I assume the Dremel blades would fit both as well.

Yup.

I will definitely try the Dremel blades next time I need some.
Dave Finnegan
rshowarth

Post by rshowarth »

Capn_Tom I believe the new Fein blades fit the older model Fein so I assume the Dremel blades would fit both as well........

Makes me wish I had taken advantage of the deals available on the old Feins as they were switching over to the new model.
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Read,

I was thinking about that too, when they were cheaper during the transition, because I had seen websites on how to make your own blades. Then I decided I would never make my own blades, so I didn't buy one.

I haven't seen a new Multi-Master - so is it true that because of the new arbor these new "other brand" blades won't fit the new Multi-Master but only the old one? That would be a bummer.

Rachel
cmartin
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Re: Dremel Multi Max

Post by cmartin »

After reading the reviews I'm considering the The Rockwell SoniCrafter as an alternative to the Fein. The online reviews seem positive, anyone here take the plunge? Or, do I just man up and by the Fein?

Thanks
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I have a pre-star and pre-lever-unlatch Fein Multimaster. After 100s of hours sanding and just a little sawing and glazing putty removal it sounds just a smidge loose. I think it's good for many more hours. I will cheerfully try Dremel accessories and papers and would expect that prices for them will equalize downward.

If I ever wear the Fein out, I'll replace it with another.

I have an older Dremel. While useful for all sorts of small work, I think it's dainty, underpowered and poorly cooled.

I was under the impression that the star was designed to discourage the tool tip from rotating; certainly the pointy detail sander and most of the sawblades are susceptable.
Oscar
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

I had not yet used an oscillating cutter until today. All the yappin' here about them got me thinking, especially when someone mentioned removing the balsa in a recoring project. Today I was up to my elbow poking away at the very bow removing balsa and said, the heck with it and read this thread, again, and the reviews and went to Home Despot. A Fein is not in the budget, period. So I got the multi max. Oh, baby, where have you been all my life.....! Like shearing a sheep I got the whole area cleared in minutes. If the Fein is much better I'll get it someday, but for now the Dremmel does things for me nothing else will.
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
bigd14
Boat Type: Ericson 27

Post by bigd14 »

I have used both, and I don't think the Dremel is worth it. It overheats so badly you can barely hold on to it with gloves on. The Fein on the other hand is an absolute beast. On full power it blasts through core material, fiberglass, etc. and barely gets hot. I wore one of the blades almost flat removing core and cutting topskin today, and it still cut well! I got the basic package for $200 and added a few extra blades, so it wasn't too bad price wise. I'm just mad that I never got one of these years ago, I can think of a million projects I should have used it for...

Doug
Doug
1972 Ericson 27