Painter's Pyramids

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Painter's Pyramids

Post by Quetzalsailor »

In the current Hartville Tool catalog, page 20, are Painters Pyramids, #30819 and 30823. These are plastic tetrahedrons that look to be about 1 1/4" on an (any) edge. They're intended to space an object up and away from a table so that painting can be done with minimal damage to a finished surface.

This would be a dandy thing in lieu of the various methods described for a fellow who was varnishing cabinet doors.

I don't normally enthuse over such a catalog, but these seem just the thing and quite clever.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Painter's Pyramids

Post by Rachel »

Cute.

Although this made me laugh, as I thought it was a bit over dramatic:

If you've been doing the same thing with nasty boards and nails you can throw them out now.
... unlike the boards and nails, the pyramids are ... much safer. Imported

If you can't handle the dangerous boards and nails... what about the solvents and the mean, abrasive sandpaper? ;^)

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12596
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Well said Rachel. I have a really hard time paying good money for something that I can do for virtually nothing. Scraps of wood, boards with nails, scraps of UHMW plastic, rocks and just about anything works. Maybe I'm just a cheap skate.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Hey! Who ya' callin' a cheepskate? I'm a cheeperskate than you! I've been trying to figger out how to make some of these but a tetrahedron is hard to jig. Using a square base, and incidentally, beating the patent/copyright, and would easier. Those finger grip holes are a nice touch.

I bet you could whack 'em out of PVC pipe.
PVC PIPE PYRAMID-R.jpg
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Quetzalsailor wrote:Hey! Who ya' callin' a cheepskate? I'm a cheeperskate than you!
Bah!!! There is no doubt that I am a cheaperskate than you. I wouldn't even consider buying a piece of PVC pipe to make them myself. I would use rocks first ;>)
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Who said 'buy'??? Scrounge is more like it.

Friend of mine needed a corrector weight to make a rudder-tiller assembly heavy enough to measure in for a Flying Dutchman regatta. He epoxied a rock onto the top. I'm not so sure just any rocks would do for you, unless your rock supply was serpentine (talc, soap stone, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpentine_group), so that it would not stick so well.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I bet that epoxy cost him

;)
Shoalcove
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Shoalcove »

I did my cabinet doors last year and, lacking funds for painters pyramids, I went to the local Dollar Store and splurged on a sleeve of plastic shot glasses for a buck. All the rocks were under snow at the time... :) BTW, Lee Valley has them as well for any interested Canucks.
Cheers!
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Perry designed CheoyLee35
radicalcy
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: AllAboutMe
Boat Type: Columbia 8.7

Post by radicalcy »

I saw the pyramids at Home Depot, or Lowes the other day. Like $4.00 for a package of 4 or 6?
Makes sense to me if working with larger projects and don't want to have to sand out resting points, or drive nails thru plywood blocks only to step on them at some later date.....(don't ask).
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

I thought these little pyramids were a nifty idea so I ponied up for a set. I still use them but I am not overwhelmed. Turns out that varnished wood is quite slippery and tends to move. This adds a degree of difficulty to varnishing that I am not quite ready for.