Fun with Couplings

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Fun with Couplings

Post by Tim »

This time, believe it or not, I actually mean fun (or at least the utter lack of frustration). Stick with me here, folks; this is an overly long description of a simple triumph.

When I finished Glissando's restoration, I vowed to disassemble the prop shaft and coupling every other year to ensure that things would always be readily removable if need be, rather than have all the pieces become welded together as is common. Anyone who has fought with frozen coupling bolts and, even worse, a welded-on coupling knows how miserable this chore is, particularly in the depths of the bilge.

True to my vow, at the end of the second season in fall 2002, I disassembled everything for inspection and cleaning. It was suprisingly hard even after only two seasons but eventually it was all apart. I had assembled everything dry, as is common, and had used an unpainted steel coupling that came with my new Yanmar. I fought the coupling for some time before I finally freed it; even with good overhead access this was a terrible job, and I didn't ever want to repeat it. I cleaned everything up, painted the couplings, and thought about how to make disassembly easier in the future.

When I reassembled the shaft and coupling (and other parts), I applied a liberal amount of waterproof grease (OMC Systematched Triple Guard Grease in this case) to all the mating surfaces, hoping that this barrier might prevent the nuts from freezing, the setscrews from freezing, and prevent the coupling from welding itself to the propshaft.

I applied the grease to the end of the shaft, the inside of the coupling, the keyway and key, on the threads of the studs on both sides of the drivesaver donut, and on the propshaft threads for the prop nuts (and the keyway and key). Then I reassembled everything.

Click here to see that process from 2002.

Last fall, 2004, should have been when I disassembled everything again, but I didn't get around to it. Therefore, today, after three seasons of use. I disassembled everything. The prop came off hard, since my prop puller isn't that great, but that's not the prop's fault.

I'm happy to report that the rest of the assembly fairly pulled itself apart, thanks to that waterproof grease. The nuts securing the coupling to the drivesaver, and the drivesaver to the transmission coupling, came off easily; the setscrews came out by hand once the mousing was removed; and, best of all, a few light taps on the coupling with a deadblow mallet easily removed the coupling from the shaft, so there was no need for any annoying spacers and tedious bolt-tightening. I was thrilled.

Now that the assembly is apart, I'll clean everything up, repaint the coupling, and reassemble with more of the waterproof grease.

I would highly recommend that anyone with their coupling/shaft taken apart take the time to apply some good waterproof grease to the mating areas. The grease in hidden areas was almost like new and had not deteriorated at all. I was pleasantly surprised by how effective this coating of grease was; it exceeded expectations and even my most hopeful predictions.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Eric
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Sophia

Post by Eric »

That's cool, Tim. I'm not looking forward to my first time with this job.

BUT, OMG is it time to come out of the water already? Damn short season up there in Casco Bay... down here in Blue Hill we will be in 'till early November...
Tim

Post by Tim »

I came out extra early this year because of some vacation traveling in September as well as 1,873 other things that are going on this particular fall.

But our anchorage here is so bad that I always come out by very early in October, just to allow some sleep at night.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

The last time I left my boat on the water in mid October I had to row out and sweep the snow off. The boatyards here north of Boston are about 1/2 to 3/4 full already.

-Britton
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I concur with Tim: early October is about the right time in Falmouth. Its just too open.

I'd stay in till late October if we had a protected anchorage: October is a great time to sail?in between the 40 knot storms...
A30_John
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by A30_John »

Tim, thanks for the discussion on coupling maintenance. I've made a similar vow to myself regarding stuffing box maintenance, but I never thought about doing what you've done with the shaft coupling.

Mind you, I have looked at the rust on the coupling and thought it could benefit from a coat of paint. I might take another look in there this Fall.
John
Tim

Post by Tim »

For example, today's forecast is for south winds 25-35 knots with gusts to 45-55--and it's only September 29. I sure am glad the boat's not bouncing on the mooring now!
A30_John wrote:I've made a similar vow to myself regarding stuffing box maintenance, but I never thought about doing what you've done with the shaft coupling.
My approach may be bordering on obsessive, but we all know that sooner or later the time will come when the coupling needs to be removed, i.e. to replace the shaft, or the Cutless bearing, or whatever reason. If biannual maintenance can ease this chore when it's required, then it's worth it to me.

I can't tell you how pleased I was when that coupling just slid easily off. I was about to go to the store for some threaded rod and nuts to do the spacer/bolt thing, when I decided to "just try" the mallet first. It moved immediately, and I had trouble believing my eyes.

I need a better prop puller, though. The screw on mine is not long enough to pull the prop off, so I need to jury rig some wooden blocking between the shaft end and the bolt, which greatly reduces the effectiveness of the puller.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Tim wrote:For example, today's forecast is for south winds 25-35 knots with gusts to 45-55--and it's only September 29. I sure am glad the boat's not bouncing on the mooring now!
I am glad that it is out of the south--Seal Cove will be snug today. I do love the 20-30k fall days tho, with Carl's seaworthy boat, and the feeling of wild isolation of late October when only the fishing boats are left in the harbors.
Sophia, Triton #635
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

For example, today's forecast is for south winds 25-35 knots with gusts to 45-55--and it's only September 29. I sure am glad the boat's not bouncing on the mooring now!
We're getting the full force of that wind here today. I just checked my boat and she seems to be riding it out ok. However, if the wind were coming from the SE it would be extremely wild. Sadly, we had a lovely 24' Lyle Hess cutter break her moorings and she's currently aground on a low tide. Somehow she went ashore on the only sandy part of the beach, so I hope the wind eases before the tide comes in so they can get her afloat safely.
John
Eric

Post by Eric »

I guess I asked for it... off to the harbor now.

Special weather statement
422 PM EDT Thu Sep 29 2005

...The National Weather Service office in Caribou has issued special
weather information for persons in...Aroostook...Penobscot...Hancock
and Washington counties...

At 416 PM EDT...Doppler weather radar indicated a line of intense
showers with gusty winds...stretching from 5 miles west of
Frenchville to 14 miles south of Ellsworth. The line was moving east
at around 50 mph.

Very intense winds right at the surface suggest widespread wind gust
potential of 60 to 70 mph...with isolated 80 mph winds...into this
evening.

These strong winds are likely to blow down numerous trees and power
lines...cause loose objects to become airborne...and may cause some
minor structural damage as well.

If threatening weather approaches your area...take cover in a
shelter or building.

Report weather related damage to the nearest law enforcement agency
or your County emergency management. They will relay your report to
the National Weather Service forecast office in Caribou.

Lat...Lon 4738 6848 4426 6851 4473 6696 4730 6754

Expires:292230 gmt
Sophia, Triton #635
Eric

Post by Eric »

Eric wrote:I guess I asked for it... off to the harbor now.
Just back after a quiet cup of tea on board.

Although there were a few small trees down across the Seal Cove Rd., when I got to Seal Cove, the rain and wind was blowing pretty steady out of the WNW at about 15k indicating that the front was well past. Too dark to see anything from the ramp, I grabbed the oars from the truck, dumped the water out of the dingy, and short stroked it out to the mooring. Sophia was happily bouncing to the rather confused, but, moderate seas. I settled on board to wait out the rain.

The VHF was quiet so I flipped on WERU and fired up the Sea Swing stove for that tea water. While waiting, I checked the bilge (dry) and lit the little Welsh miner's lamp. I was a bit disappointed when the rain stopped about 30 minutes later, but parental duties dictated that I leave my cozy little cabin and make for home.

Rainwise in Bar Harbor recorded a max wind speed at 49mph. Hope that little cutter made it safetly off the beach...
Tim

Post by Tim »

Eric,

Is this you?

Eric

Post by Eric »

Tim wrote:Eric,

Is this you?
Yup.
Sophia, Triton #635
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

Hope that little cutter made it safetly off the beach...
It did. The wind calmed down at high tide, they attached a long line to another mooring and pulled 'er off no worse for wear. They were very lucky.

On Saturday we were rewarded with the best sailing day of the season.
John