Bronze rub-strip on top edge of coamings?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Bronze rub-strip on top edge of coamings?

Post by Figment »

You know how it is... you never notice how many jeeps (or any given car) are on the road until you actually start looking, and then you can't friggin believe how they're just all over the place...

I'd never seen it before, then last week I noticed a boat that had bronze half-oval strip on the top edge of the coaming boards. Since then I've seen five other boats with this detail.

I get the idea. The coaming tops are subject to abuse and are ALWAYS the first part of the boat to need fresh varnish. I'd think that a metal strip would have its drawbacks too, though.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I haven't really seen the need myself, though I understand why one might put a strip there.

I would consider applying metal strips if a clear need arose--or if you simply like the look. Otherwise, I would not bother, personally. If one sat on the coamings, or stood there, or other similar things, the top edges might take more abuse and benefit from the metal.

Metal sounds hot in the sun, too...ouch!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating