Genoa slides/lead block

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
RobA

Genoa slides/lead block

Post by RobA »

Back to the Genoa track thing again.

I am leaving for the boat soooon. The list of things I have made for myself to do continues to grow even though I can't see the boat. (read..i'm reading too much of the info on this website)

Anyway, West Marine is have a 20-25% off sale on various stuff. Harken blocks is one category on sale. I know I will have to buy some of this stuff in the next two weeks so if I can get some help with selection I will save a bit.

If you remember from my other post, there are no genoa tracks on the boat atm. The two blocks there are wooden and imo, very poor condition.

So. What should I buy for genoa track and slides/block or Genoa Lead block. I'm not sure what i'm talking about here between the difference in the two. It appears one is a metal slide and you shackle a block to it, and the other is a car with built on block.

Anyway, It doesnt have to be harken, but if you can give me some idea's maybe I can save some $$.

At least I held off on the inflatable pfd/harness and its onsale for almost 50 bucks less )

Thx guys,

Rob
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I typed out a few thoughts, but then deleted on further contemplation. I should let someone who actually has harken-type stuff on their boat chime in.

Show me these wooden blocks when you get a sec, though.
tartan30cirrus
Topside Painter

Post by tartan30cirrus »

Garhauer makes super stuff for the $

http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=37

Cheers,
Clint
Clinton B. Chase
Tartan 30 #388 Cirrus
Portland, Maine
RobA

Wooden blocks

Post by RobA »

I have 1 or 2 photos if I can get them posted, you will have to zoom in to see blocks.

I had to recude quality, so I don't know if you can zoom in enough to see the block, this is probably the best photo I have of it. Extracting the photo from .doc file with photo shop somehow also goofed the color up ( Its hooked on a padeye where the lifelines end, near the dodger...

Whats with the "roll cage" ? :)

[img][img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/3766b9b244.jpg[/img][/img]
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I recommend you go with a 4' length of 1" t-track on each side (commonly available), with a lead car containing a spring to keep it upright and off the decks, such as the Garhauer ones that I have. The standup blocks are nice because the don't flop over on the deck, which creates noise, footing hazards, and can damage the paint. It's especially annoying in very light winds, where the sail may not be able to hold up the car on its own.

Garhauer now also has some low-profile lead cars that you might consider, for around the same price ($46 each).

The Garhauer stuff is very good quality, and their prices cannot be beat. I have been pleased with all the Garhauer hardware I have on board (which is most everything).

Whatever track and blocks you choose, be aware that there are different sizes, so make sure your chosen blocks fit the track size. 1" track is the right size for your boat.

If you use a variety of headsail sizes, you may need a second, smaller track located much farther forward and inboard. There is a thread somewhere on this forum covering this placement in some detail.

Adjustable tracks and lead cars are a really nice upgrade, if you're looking to spend extra money. The Garhauer ones Clint mentioned look nice, and are far less expensive than their Harken counterparts.

One place I have found that the Harken stuff is a nicer upgrade is the mainsheet tackle. The ratchet blocks are really sweet in this application, and the performance far exceeds the Garhauer mainsheet blocks. Otherwise, go Garhauer.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
RobA

As always

Post by RobA »

Thanks a ton.

I will get this stuff ordered asap.

Rob
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Rob,

I'll just second the vote for those stand-up-on-their-own blocks. Forget getting an ounce of sleep while the regular ones flop around on the decks!

If for some reason they're more than you want to spend right now, you can use a non-stand-up block (which you might already have) and make a simple little bungie hook that holds it up to the lifeline, since it's so close to the gunwale.

I just made up a short piece with a plastic "bungie hook" (you can buy them seperately) on one end (an overhand knot in the bungie keeps it in there) and a longish loop on the other end, which I then cow-hitched through the loop built in to the top of the block. Pretty easy to move along the lifeline too. The loop on the block end was made by crimping hog-rings (little semi-circular bits of stainless) on it. I put a bit of heat-shrink electrical tubing over that just to be neat.

That being said, the boat also had the stand-up ones for the staysail (mounted on the cabin top so no place to hook a bungie above it) and they do work well.

Whichever way you go on the blocks, I've always found it very handy to have the basic bungie-making items aboard: The plastic hooks, "raw" bungie cord, and hog rings (no need for the special plyers - I just use regular ones), and perhaps a bit of shrink tubing.

--- Rachel
RobA

Always good advice.

Post by RobA »

This website is so great.

I really wish I could figure out how to get internet comfortably down there.

I am thinking of moving the boat up to Vero and stay at my folks house and work on it from their. But that entails me taking a 300 mile trip, alone, inexperienced, with a boat im unsure about.

Sigh,

Life is never easy,

But it could be worse!

I do asphalt work and a hose broke on me this morning, covering one side of my body and face with driveway sealer.....I can't wait to go sailing!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Always good advice.

Post by Rachel »

RobA wrote:I do asphalt work and a hose broke on me this morning, covering one side of my body and face with driveway sealer.....
Sounds like you're prepping for doing boat projects - just exchange the sealer for fiberglass dust, epoxy drips, caulk, and motor oil ;-)

I can identify with your boat-moving dilemma; I've got a project boat just waiting for me on the Chesapeake, but I'm reluctant to tackle it knowing what a pain it'll be so far from a home base.

If I were you I'd be tempted to see what a boat-hauler would charge to move it to Vero by truck. Not saying I'd go for that option, but I might check. If it weren't too expensive, I can almost guarantee you'd save the equivalent amount of dollars by having a home base, access to tools, food, etc. That stuff really adds up when you're based away from home.

One idea for Internet access: Look up "Panera Bread" online and see if there's one near where you'll be. It's a bagel/soup/sandwich/coffee chain that offers free Wi-fi if you have a laptop you can bring along. I gratefully sank into their chairs in air-conditioned comfort after a few long days cleaning out the aforementioned boat. I do always buy something in return for it, but the food's not bad for a chain, and not too pricey.

--- Rachel
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

I've got a project boat just waiting for me on the Chesapeake,
Me too. Fortunately, she's tied up at my father-in-law's dock, and he can occaisionally get down to check on her. I'll be going down for a couple of long weekends this fall, and then will probably haul out at a boatyard down there, close to my father-in-law's place, in December or January for a week or two of work re-bedding some of the thru-hulls and replacing the remaining gate valves with seacocks, among other tasks. Then I think we'll be ready to bring the boat up to New England next summer.

Rob, good luck with your genoa tracks. I will second the recommendations for Garhauer equipment; I've got some of their blocks on one of my boats and like them very much.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Tim,

Do you have a haul-out place sussed out yet? I've checked out a couple, but haven't decided on anything yet. I'd love to compare info in that regard. Feel free to send a PM (private message) if you'd rather.

--- Rachel
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Maryland Boat Yards

Post by catamount »

Rachel,

I haven't scoped it out myself yet, but my father-in-law has used Whitehall Yacht Yard, 1656 Homewood Landing Rd., Annapolis, MD 21401. (410) 757-4819: 25 ton lift, maintenance & repair, also do it yourself, dry storage, ship's store. It's off of Whitehall Bay between Annapolis and the Bay Bridge, very convenient to my father-in-law's place on Mill Creek in Annapolis. Run by a guy named John White. Also home to Northern Bay Rigging http://northernbayrigging.com/

Oxford Boat Yard at Oxford on Maryland's Eastern Shore is where my boat was when I bought her. They apparently allow do-it-yourself work too, but of course they like you to buy your supplies at their ship's store. Everybody there seemed nice enough.

Last year I looked at a boat that was at Point Lookout Marina in Ridge, MD. The back lot there appeared to be home to quite a few "project" boats, but I never had any interaction with the folks there so can't tell you much else about it.

Of course the Chesapeake is a big bay, so there are probably a lot of places to choose from. Where is your boat located?
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation