In defense of cheap masking tape

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

In defense of cheap masking tape

Post by Figment »

I've been bedding a lot of hardware lately. I've had two rolls of blue tape in the box. One stuck pretty well, the other was a total waste. It'd LOOK like it was sticking, but the minute you turned your back it'd lift and some sealant would sneak under it. Jackass that I am, I never bothered to look at the cardboard core of the rolls to tell which was which until this past saturday.

The winner of Mike's Super-Scientific Humid-Weather Uneven-Surface Short-Duration Over-Hyphenated Adhesion Test is...... drumroll.....

INTERTAPE!!! $3/roll and it kicked 3M's 7day stuff right off the boat.

I'm not saying I'd use it in a painting application that required the tape to be left in place for a week, but for short duration applications, this stuff is my new favorite.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Where does one get "Intertape"?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

That particular roll came from "Richlin", a local dirt-mall store that I think is a chain, but perhaps not. A number of other local stores carry it, though.