Strange but True: A McMaster-Carr story

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
george
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Strange but True: A McMaster-Carr story

Post by george »

OK, taking the advice of folks on this forum I not only acquired a Porter-Cable random orbit sander, but ordered lots of sanding discs from McMaster-Carr.

I placed the order online at 2 p.m. today.

When I got to my house at 5 p.m., the box was sitting on my Atlanta porch!

:o

The warehouse is just a few miles away apparently.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Wow, that's impressive!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I'm always amazed at how quickly they get stuff out the door. Even delivered to Maine its unusual for them to run past 2 days delivery.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

It's nearly always one day, with regular ground shipping from NJ. I love that place.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Harry James
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Harry James »

As I live in Alaska I don't want the fast shipping, it is incredibly expensive, and Brown does not provide that good a service to AK. On my last two orders I have asked them to send it US mail and both times they have ignored the insructions. I really like the selection of stuff they offer, but I need to find a way to fight through the shipping expense.

HJ
Matt B.
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Firefly
Boat Type: Islander 28

Post by Matt B. »

Harry James wrote:As I live in Alaska I don't want the fast shipping, it is incredibly expensive, and Brown does not provide that good a service to AK. On my last two orders I have asked them to send it US mail and both times they have ignored the insructions. I really like the selection of stuff they offer, but I need to find a way to fight through the shipping expense.
Don't fight it, go around it. Find a Shipping/Mailing/P.O. Box store in the lower 48. Rent a P.O. Box on an annual contract (pretty cheap, generally.) Arrange for the store to forward any mail or packages by US Mail to you in Alaska.

One shipment or two should save you enough to cover the cost of the box and shipping charges.
Matt Beland
Islander 28 #256, SV Firefly
matt@rearviewmirror.org