Port gasket material

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Port gasket material

Post by windrose »

Tim would you mind to give me the size for the gasket material from Defender for the opening portholes.... is the 1/4" size I want? Thanks.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I ordered the quarter inch thinking it was the right size - it was too large for mine. I think you and I have similar boats (what's your hull number?).

An indication of whether your portlight is more like mine or Tim's may be the number screws that attach it to the cabin side. I have four and I believe most others have six.

I still haven't correctly replaced it. Try measuring the width of the gasket ring around the portlight.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I used 1/4". It was a good fit for my ports, but be sure you have the same type of ports. If yours look like this, then the 1/4" should be the correct size.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

As a point of comparison, here are what mine look like. Apologies for the image quality - I screwed it up when I resized it. I still have some butyl caulk to clean up - just realizing how bad that looks.

But check out the new nonskid!

J/30 Rambunctious
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by windrose »

Jason, looking good! My hull is #215, two boats in front of you I'll have to check to see how many screws are in them but I think they are like Jason's.

Thanks for the input guys.
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Portlight gasket

Post by tikvah59 »

I tried the 3/16" from Defender, as recommended on the National Triton MIR site. It was too big. I saw another recommendation for using teflon stuffing box packing. I put it in with silicone caulk, and that seemed to work, but it's still too early to tell.

I'll get you a picture soon, but my ports are probably Rev .01 - my boat is a 1960. The ports are very simple.
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
dkall
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Assuming you completed this; but if you didn't....

Post by dkall »

Assuming you completed this; but if you didn't.... you can get the exact size from McMaster-Carr. They have plenty of any size you need and you buy it by the foot, it's then at your door in a couple of days.
Dave-Westsail 42-Elysium
Jason K

Post by Jason K »

I like McMaster Carr. If you can find your way through the catalog, then they're very efficient and a pleasure to deal with. I bought their sandpaper at the advice of this forum and have gone back for a few things since then.

Going WAY off topic (but keeping to suppliers), I got irritated at Garhauer today. I ordered stanchions from them off their website. I need 24" (or so) stanchions for a single lifeline, so I placed an order for six of these:

When they arrived, they had two holes. I called Garhauer and inquired as to the excess perforation and, apparently, it was my fault. You see, those ARE twin lifeline stanchions - the photo only shows the top part....

I told them that may be the dumbest thing I'd heard so far today, which got a chuckle (that could have gone either way) and new ones are on the way. But still....
J/30 Rambunctious