I am looking to purchase mapping software and a gps...

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
amerigo
Bottom Paint Application Technician

I am looking to purchase mapping software and a gps...

Post by amerigo »

Any suggestions?
Trim, Ease, Get me a beer!
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Allen »

I'm using an iPAQ H5555 with a Navman GPS 3450 and Pocket Navigator. It has the advantage of multiple functions (e-mail, word processing, etc.) and is very compact. A laptop can be used to view the charts and take advantage of the larger display. I have a waterproof clear plastic bag in which the unit resides when on deck. I have successfully used the free downloadable charts with Memory Map Navigator, the PC part of the system, but have not transferred them to the handheld yet. It can also be used with Mapopolis in any vehicle for those trips ashore.

The major disadvantage is the small size of the display and it's sunlight readable properties, but overall I am quite happy with the unit and it's flexibility.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Allen... I also use memory Map Navigator with my Canadian charts. I didn't know it would read the free US charts. Can you give me more details, such as the US chart format and what version of MMN you're using?
I can't load the latest upgrade because I'm still running Win 98 SE on my old Panasonic Toughbook that resides in the boat :-(

I have a Garmin GPS Map 76 (not the color one) that interfaces with Memory Map very well. It'll also interface with my Autohelm ST2000.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Ric in Richmond
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

I have a garmin 176 C which I love. IT always works, seems tough as nails, interfaces with my ST4000 nicely (whoever thought up NMEA needs a huge pat onthe back even if it isn't "perfect").

That being said....I hate being screwed for the costs of the charts. Especially now that the digital charts are FREE from NOAA.

I'd look for something that uses the NOAA charts and am crossing my fingers that someone will create a program to convert NOAA charts to a Garmin format (not likely....but I'd pay $100 for it and so would lots of other people!)

Ric
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend C GPS. It is a great little unit. I don't have it interfaced with a laptop yet, however, I am planning on doing it some time in the future. The mapping software I am looking at for the laptop is some free stuff called SeaClear GPS Navigation.

http://www.sping.com/seaclear/index.htm

It uses a varitey of chart formats, including scanned charts. I'm not sure if it can use Garmin MapSource charts or not, but the screen is so small on handheld units that the base chart and waypoints are fine to navigate with. You can upload waypoints and route data. It also has the option of mini USB to the laptop, much more convenient than serial cables.

The people I have talked to that use SeaClear are quite happy with it. I figure I will try it first. If it doesn't work the way I want, it didn't cost me anything.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Allen

Post by Allen »

Peter wrote:Allen... I also use memory Map Navigator with my Canadian charts. I didn't know it would read the free US charts. Can you give me more details, such as the US chart format and what version of MMN you're using?
I can't load the latest upgrade because I'm still running Win 98 SE on my old Panasonic Toughbook that resides in the boat :-(

I have a Garmin GPS Map 76 (not the color one) that interfaces with Memory Map very well. It'll also interface with my Autohelm ST2000.
Peter, I'll take a look tonight when I get home from work. If I can't get the info for you then, I have the charts loaded on my computer in Dallas. I'll be there this weekend and will get all the info for you then.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

A30_John

Post by A30_John »

That being said....I hate being screwed for the costs of the charts. Especially now that the digital charts are FREE from NOAA.

I'd look for something that uses the NOAA charts and am crossing my fingers that someone will create a program to convert NOAA charts to a Garmin format (not likely....but I'd pay $100 for it and so would lots of other people!)
I might be mistaken on this, but it's my understanding that the free NOAA charts are published in raster format and then converted by Garmin to a vector format. Vector charts have many advantages, one of which is smaller file size - one reason you can pack so much charting information into handhelds. Vector charts also zoom better, are clearer, etc. I understand the process of converting raster charts to vector format involves considerable human effort, probably one of the reasons Garmin charges what they do for the vector charts. If someone were to develop a conversion program, no doubt Garmin would be happy to pay $100 for a copy and pass some of the savings along. However, I think it would be a very difficult program to write.

Interestingly, Garmin is starting to hard code charts onto the chips of its higher end chartplotting GPS units, essentially passing the charts along for "free" when people buy these units. Perhaps this signals the end of the bulk "raster-to-vector" conversion and costs are on their way down. I hope so, because I prefer to use a handheld GPS and I still have to pay for unlock codes to add regions to my chart database. The costs are bearable for local sailing, but are prohibitive for long distance cruising (at least for me), especially when carrying paper charts as a back up. (Mind you there are now affordable compilations of paper charts that can be used as reasonable back up charts in an emergency.)

In my mind, the "free" charts come with a price. First, you need a computer on board, a robust mounting unit, a GPS, plus well-designed, reliable chartplotting software. This adds up the $ quickly. Unless you are buying an expensive, high-end ruggedized notebook, you shouldn't (or perhaps I should say I wouldn't) rely on that hardware for a primary navigation device. So you might want a backup GPS unit.

A normal everyday laptop wouldn't last long on as a chartplotter on my boat - the environment is too damp, and the boat moves too much. So I've opted for a "waterproof" handheld Garmin device with no moving parts (hard drives, fans, etc.) for reliability and I take it home and connect it to my computer for updates.

After researching this thoroughly twice over the past four years, each time I've come down firmly on the side of a dedicated marine chartplotter with vector charting capabilities. If I had a dry helm area (e.g. pilot house) I'd certainly look again at chartplotting software on a computer (probably using Garmin BlueCharts) and keep my handheld GPS as a backup.
John
Allen

Post by Allen »

Peter,

Here is the link to the free charts, I'll verify this is where I downloaded mine Saturday night.

http://www.freeboatingcharts.com/

You may also be interested in this. While not free, it isn't a bad deal for $45 including shipping.

http://www.gpsnavx.com/html/rasterDVD.html
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

A30_John

Post by A30_John »

I have successfully used the free downloadable charts with Memory Map Navigator, the PC part of the system, but have not transferred them to the handheld yet. It can also be used with Mapopolis in any vehicle for those trips ashore.
Allen, I'll be interested to hear how the charts work in your handheld. What handheld software do you use to display them?
John
Allen

Post by Allen »

John,

I'm using Pocket Navigator 4.0.0 build 345 on the iPAQ. The title bar at the top of the display reads Memory-Map Navig though. I'm going to try and load the charts on the iPAQ next week and will let you know how it goes.

This is a screen shot from my desktop computer of the Potomac near DC, with some way points. It will give you an idea of what the charts look like.

Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Challenger949L
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: ESPADON Kittiwake
Boat Type: Sabre 28, Alden Challenger

Post by Challenger949L »

This is a free program that you can use with a laptop and a GPS.It is called seaclear.
http://www.sping.com/seaclear/

You can find free downloads of BSB charts at:
http://www.freeboatingcharts.com/

oops! It looks like I am just repeating info, but together these work well, though I have not yet tried it with the gps hooked up.
Jimmy Small
Triton #662
Challenger 949L
Peter
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Peter, I'll take a look tonight when I get home from work. If I can't get the info for you then, I have the charts loaded on my computer in Dallas. I'll be there this weekend and will get all the info for you then.
Allen: The Pacific Northwest Area is flowing down the pipe as I type this. My version of Memory Map (4.3.1) reads the charts just fine, so I guess I can delay that upgrade a little longer.
What a gift! I wish Canada would put our charts in the public domain. Now I can navigate US waters on my laptop :)

The CD is a great value, but I've got a lot of exploring to do around here first.
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Allen

Post by Allen »

Hi Peter,

Just got home and verified these were the charts I downloaded. You would think governments would make charts available as a safety thing, not to mention that the tax payers, paid for the data to be collected in the first place. Oh well... ;)
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

wstokes
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by wstokes »

I just purchased a Garmin 172c chartplotter and the 'Bluechart' data card with the charts for Eastern Newfoundland and parts of Labrador. I haven't installed it yet, however I did set up over 100 waypoints and it was very easy. It appears to be very robust and I am looking forward to using it in years to come. I was disappointed with the chart coverage though, as it doesn't cover all of the region that I expected it do. I contacted Garmin and their answer to me was that the mapping supplier did not supply the areas that I was really interested in and when they do, they will provide an upgrade which I have to purchase. "BUMMER" So when you you looking for charting software, buyer beware, check what charts are included.

I am also looking at buying a small handheld for around $100-$150 cdn. This will be the backup for the chartplotter. AT the moment I am looking at the Gekos, Garmin etrex, and maybe the Lowrance H2O.

In any case, do your homework and you won't get burned.
Ronbye
Jason K
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

boatersworld.com currently has the Garmin GPSMAP76 on sale fr $200 - a good, if basic, unit.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

...they will provide an upgrade which I have to purchase. "BUMMER" So when you you looking for charting software, buyer beware, check what charts are included.
Does anyone have any experience with the Raymarine RC400 Portable GPS Charplotter? I'm thinking of replacing my Garmin with this unit because of the Garmin chart issues described by wstokes.

http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/Prod ... ct_id=1723
John