Tank Straps

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Tank Straps

Post by jhenson »

What is an acceptable material to use for constructing hold down straps for marine poly tanks? So far, in my small town, I have been unable to find stainless steel material for this. I'm wondering if say aluminum or galvanized flat bar would be acceptable instead.

Thanks,

Joe
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I'd go with aluminum over galvanized any day. I don't see any problem with using aluminum. Perhaps you might consider painting it for added resistance to the inevitable corrosion, but for use in an enclosed space, and with regular maintenance, it should work well.

Be sure to isolate any strapping from the tank surface with something like neoprene.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Hey Jim,

C172's use two aluminum straps (1 inch wide and .032 thick) with the double sided foam tape for chafe protection to hold down the fuel tanks. Let's see 20 gallon tanks * six pounds a gallon... ... ... that's a hundred and twenty pound tank without factoring in any G forces. A couple of those should work for your water tanks. I occasionally see those straps broken but the ones I see on the airplanes are often 30 years old plus. The aluminum could be hand bent and is easily drilled.

-Britton
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

Britton,

The C-172 takes me back about 28 years ago when I started my flying career. Are you an A & P and with your AI as well? Is your work primarily General Aviation and Corporate maintenance?

I think I'll go with painted aluminum. My real concern is how it will hold up inside the hull with the chain locker draining under the v-berth to the bilge. My hope is to end up with a relatively dry boat when I'm done. Like everything else on the boat, it will require periodic inspection and maybe replacement. Sorta like aircraft, I guess.

I think fuel weighs about a couple of pounds less per gallon than water and sewage, so a 20 gallon tank would weigh in at about 160lbs.

Thanks,

Joe
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

No IA unfortunately, I went to work overseas and therefore was not working under the A&P certificate so I couldn't apply for the IA. I haven't worked steady enough to qualify for the IA since. I have worked it all at one point or another, large helicopters was my longest stint. My most recent venture is into cars which pays much better (lacking an airline hub in the vicinity) and I don't get the ulcers. I do a little CFI work on the side but you know how THAT goes... As you know, a boat project takes lots and lots and LOTS of money...

I figured your avatar shows a cockpit so you would have to be familiar with the Syhawk. I just used it for a common reference in case you have ever seen the fuel tank installation. In retro-spect it wasn't a good example. If pilots ever saw into the innards of their airplanes they would probably never fly again. There just isn't much there and what is there isn't as bright and shiny as one would like to envision :-) Anyway, water is about eight pounds a gallon so just add another strap and you should be fine.

One of the nice things about aluminum is that when the surface corrodes, the same corrosion seals the material from further corrosion. You will see some surface corrosion pretty quickly but then the straps should hold up a long time before they lose their structural strength.

-Britton