Treadmaster

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Bill Salter

Treadmaster

Post by Bill Salter »

Has anyone had any experience with Treadmaster non-skid overlay? It seems to be well reviewed, but all I have seen is photos in the catalog. It looks a little "industrial", but it also may save a lot of fairing and application of a grit non-skit.

Advice appreciated.

Bill
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Treadmaster is nearly unduplicated as far as nonskid ability goes--it works great.

However, it's industrially ugly, and very hard on knees, elbows, and bare feet. If you can stand this, it's a good way to go.

I like the look of something a bit smoother, personally.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
James384
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Treadmastered Triton

Post by James384 »

I recently crossed the Atlantic on a Treadmastered Triton and found the gray color a bit too hot for barefeet in the tropics. It also transferred excess heat inside the cabin. As Tim said, its non-skid qualities are unequaled. Unfortunately, whoever installed it used something like contact cement and the stuff is now peeling up everywhere. To make it stick you could use epoxy glue but then you'd never get it off if you ever needed to refinish the deck. The stuff will last for many years though.

James
#384 Atom
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

treadmaster

Post by The Good Goose »

I have never seen a treadmaster installation more than a few years old that wasn't lifting somewhere. Installation is far from easy. If I was rebedding all my deck fittings and had everything off anyway I would grind the nonskid and paint. If I was redoing the non skid without removal of the deck hardware I might consider it but I would be very careful how I fastened it .

Brock Richardson
Trey

More Treadmaster talk

Post by Trey »

We have been considering Treadmaster for our deck. Having walked on a couple of non-skid paint jobs on our dock, the feeling was that they were way too gritty for our taste - would hate to fall down and skin our knee on these!

So we looked at some boats that had Treadmaster - about half were peeling up and half weren't. Also, what was wierd to me was that we could only find 1 boat that didn't have the dark gray Treadmaster. And down here your decks GET HOT. We'll get the off-white Treadmaster if we go that route.

So: Anyone have any experience with
1. the lighter colored Treadmaster?
2. a proper way to glue the stuff down?

(This is a really great forum. Some friends of ours recently got a Triton, showed us the National Triton Association site. From there a linked to your Glissando site and here I am! From having a boat of which only 17 were built, you can understand that I try to find web resources that are as close as possible to my boat. This is one of the best by far.)

Trey
David

Treadmaster

Post by David »

They make two kinds that I am aware of: the normal raised diamond texture and a smooth version with just a hint of texture. There is also a two part Treadmaster adhesive that is supposed to be very permanent. The stuff is great, but heavy, the color fades in the sun (they have a brush on paint you can use to touch up the color), and lasts forever.