Source for Canvas Work

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Source for Canvas Work

Post by MikeD »

Anyone have a good source for canvas work in S. Maine? I'm specifically looking for a main sail cover. And how much can I expect to spend?
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I've been very pleased with Hallett. I believe I paid something like 200 or 250 for my cover... it was part of the quote for the new main, so I don't remember exactly. It's a very nice cover. Sunbrella.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Ditto the Hallett recommendation, and the cost estimate. They build a nice sailcover.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

What sort of "trim details" do you guys favor on your mainsail cover?

For the bottom edge.... snaps, turnbuttons, or lace and hook?
Forward edge?
the wrap at the top? lace, cord, velcro?

Personally, I'm a fan of turnbuttons.

I saw a cool idea for the top collar a few months ago. Five inches down from the top was a strap and double-D-ring buckle arrangement that cinched the cover tight to the mast. An elastic was sewn into the hem at the top, and a snap connected the halves around the mast. Cinch the strap tight to the mast, snap the elastic, then fold the top five inches down over the strap to hide it. I know it sounds kinda like a tube sock from 1978, but it actually is a pretty nice look.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Figment wrote:For the bottom edge.... snaps, turnbuttons, or lace and hook?
Definitely Turnbuttons (is that what those things are called?)
Figment wrote:Forward edge?
Zipper.
Figment wrote:the wrap at the top? lace, cord, velcro?
Lace? Like a doiley? I choose cord, I think. Depends on what exactly that means!

I also like a cord at the aft end.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

Yup, I like turnbuttons for both the bottom and the forward edge. I've always used "lace" at the top, but that buckle idea is pretty good.

On Mojito, the sailcover has a bungee cord and hooks. While it is easy to use, it makes the cover look sloppy. I like a cover that is big enough to hang comfortably below the reefs and isn't bunched.

Mine will be replaced when the hull gets painted. It and the bimini are currently Pacific Blue (of course). I'm going with the tan sunbrella, I think they call it toast.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

#218 wrote:Mine will be replaced when the hull gets painted. ... I'm going with the tan sunbrella, I think they call it toast.
Thanks guys for the info. I've got a call out to Maine Sailing Partners, and have done business with Hallet in the past as well. I'm sure I'll still be muddling this over by the time Jason is buffing out his new topsides job. BTW Jason, "toast" is quite the appropriate color choice for your boat. :)
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:What sort of "trim details" do you guys favor on your mainsail cover?

For the bottom edge.... snaps, turnbuttons, or lace and hook?
Forward edge?
the wrap at the top? lace, cord, velcro?

Personally, I'm a fan of turnbuttons.

I saw a cool idea for the top collar a few months ago. Five inches down from the top was a strap and double-D-ring buckle arrangement that cinched the cover tight to the mast. An elastic was sewn into the hem at the top, and a snap connected the halves around the mast. Cinch the strap tight to the mast, snap the elastic, then fold the top five inches down over the strap to hide it. I know it sounds kinda like a tube sock from 1978, but it actually is a pretty nice look.
Bottom: turnbuttons, absolutely.

Front: large plastic zipper

Top: with the zipper, this is hardly necessary, but I have a simple drawstring (light cord run through a sewn pocket) to secure this area.

I agree with Jason, too: I like a sailcover that is roomy enough to easily cover the sail without bunching, and without highlighting every little bump in the folded sail. But it shouldn't be too loose either. Also, the cover should be long enough to cover the full length of the foot, of course, but also short enough so that the after end drawstrings have enough room to pull the cover tightly. Tightly-secured covers not only look better, but also hold up better when the wind blows. I've had two covers made now, and both of them required shortening at the aft end in order to fit properly.

Having a front end that is truly tall enough to cover the full stack height easily is also key. Often, this requires an additional piece of Sunbrella in order to make up the height; sometimes, the canvas maker will "skimp" here in order to use a single width of material. On my Glissando sailcover, which is (to me) perfectly sized for the task, there's an additional piece on the stack, which allows the cover to fit really well. But when I had the cover made for the daysailor, the extra piece was not included, and the cover did not fit nearly as well. Maybe this is a little picky, but it's something to think about nonetheless.

Every boat is different, and the way the sail is stowed on the boom, coupled with individual boom arrangements, means that a "stock" sailcover made to generic measurements may not fit properly. I think it's worthwhile to have the sailmaker visit the boat with the sail installed on the boom so that accurate measurements can be obtained, unless one has an existing cover that truly fits well that can be used as a pattern.

Also, if you have an old mainsail that is soft, remember that a new sail, should you get one someday, will be much stiffer and will take up a lot more room under the cover. So a new sailcover should allow some extra space for this eventuality (without being ridiculously over-compensating, either).

Sailcovers are right up there with boottops as one of the features that immediately catches my eye on any sailboat. A bad sailcover stands out (to me) like a bondo-and-primer body panel on a Bentley. (Or, put another way: the devil is in the details. Who knew that such a simple thing could have so many considerations? Maybe it's just me...this is what I do.)

Glissando's cover (which I love):

The daysailor's cover (I wasn't thrilled):

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating