System Three QUIKFAIR Putty

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

System Three QUIKFAIR Putty

Post by Tim »

Has anyone used this relatively new product from System Three? It's a 2-part lightweight fairing putty designed to give consistent results and fast curing.

QuikFair

Mixing epoxy fairing putties by hand (especially when working alone) is time-consuming and takes a bit of effort to get the mix just right (plus the fun of inhaling all that cabosil and filler dust as you mix). And then you have to wait 24 hours or longer for it to cure before sanding.

This QuikFair seems like an interesting option for many uses. If anyone's used it and can comment on its performance, I'd be interested.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I've now had an opportunity to try the QuikFair putty. I purchased a small (24 oz) kit to try as a sample before committing to anything more substantial.
The material has a texture like very smooth frosting. Measuring out the two parts (it's mixed in a 2:1 resin:hardener ratio) is kind of a pain, because the stuff--especially the brown resin component--is very sticky and fights attempts to clean out measuring cups, etc. Since it's an epoxy, I don't dare eyeball the amounts the way I might with a more traditional 2-part putty. I'm trying to work out a method that works conveniently.

Mixing is easy, however, once the two parts are measured out and combined. I've mixed it in a cup with stir sticks, and also on a flat board using a large putty knife. For a small quantity, I liked the board method better.

It's smooth and easy to spread, but working time is relatively short, so only small batches should be used. However, it provides a much smoother end result than normal epoxy putties (i.e. microballooons and silica), so it's an excellent finishing putty.

QuikFair is touted as being hand-sandable after three hours, and machine-sandable after four. Well, I found that it can take longer--perhaps because of room temperature (60 +/- on the floor, warmer at deck level), perhaps not. But when it does cure, it forms a rock-hard surface that is easy to sand. I've so far sanded it both by hand, with a sanding block, and with machines. Fine sanding leaves a glassy-smooth surface devoid of pinholes in the putty.

So, overall, based on quite limited usage (I've used perhaps half of the 24 oz. kit to date), I like the stuff, though it seems the cure time might be more dependent on temperature than I thought. Today, I applied a coat of the putty at about 1000, and by 1600 it still wasn't cured hard enough to sand effectively--a minor disappointment. Probably warmer room temps would be a plus in this instance, which I'll keep in mind for future use.

Overall, I like it, and can't argue with the smoothness of the finished product, which is what I wanted.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating