Cooling water drainage device for running engine in workshop

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
A30_John
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Cooling water drainage device for running engine in workshop

Post by A30_John »

I'm wondering if anyone has any innovative ideas for capturing cooling water that is being expelled from a boat while running the engine inside a workshop. The device would need to capture the water and duct it out of an open door in the building.

Hopefully the same device could be used to capture water and antifreeze pumped through the holding system too.

I thought West Marine sold such a device, but I was unable to locate it in their online catalog, possibly because I didn't know what term to search for. Thanks...
John
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

A bucket on a ladder with a hose connected through the bottom of the bucket via a fitting screwed into it?

I never had the opportunity to check but does the water contain all the bad stuff or is some of it still in gaseous form and therefore quite toxic in an enclosed space?

Or... disconnect the exhaust hose from the thru-hull fitting and connect it to a hose with a hose-to-hose fitting. Then you can run the hose wherever you want. Routing the hose out without getting too high might be a problem though.

You know, that is a question you don't hear every day on the forum! :-)

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I used a bucket beneath the outlet and connected a series of PVC pipe lengths to run the liquid discharge through the door to the outside. You could use hose too, though the hose should be pretty large to prevent the discharge from overflowing hte bucket. These small diesels put out a lot of water through the exhaust. That's why I used PVC (plus I had it on hand). I just taped the joints together, which works fine.

http://www.triton381.com/projects/maint ... erize2.htm

I never saw a need to capture the RV antifreeze used for winterizing, but it'd be easy enough to run the piping to another 5 gallon bucket or some sort of container instead of right onto the ground.

The water doesn't contain the exhaust gasses; they will emanate throughout the room, so having the doors open is recommended.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

Thanks... I'll try the bucket with pvc pipe. I never thought a bucket would catch all that belching water, but apparently it will come close enough. It doesn't have to be absolutely perfect, I just want to make sure whatever hits the (gravel) floor will dry quickly and not accumulate on the plastic vapor barrier under the gravel. I'm in the process of finishing up my storage shelter, and I'll post some pics when it's done. Thanks again.
John
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The bucket does need to be right under the outlet, so you'll have to raise it up with ladders or whatever support.

This would work much less well (or not at all) on a boat with a transom exhaust, rather than in the counter.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

On a boat with a transom exhaust, I stick a sacrificial piece of cardboard into the bucket, extending above the rim like a backsplash. Water splashes against the cardboard and drips down into the bucket.
Pizza boxes have 1,001 uses!!
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

Thanks for all the high tech recommendations. A bucket and pizza box it will be!
John