Refrigeration

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Refrigeration

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Found what seems to be a solid site with lots of answers about refrigeration topics, if that's your thing :

Mark

http://kollmann-marine.com
Allen

Post by Allen »

Based on an article that appeared in Good Old Boat, I've decided to go a similar route. It makes the refer portable and easily replaceable.

Engel 43 quart portable AC/DC freezer and refrigerator
* Height: 20"
* Width: 14 1/3"
* Depth: 25 1/2

Energy requirements:
* DC 12/24 Volts, 2.7 Amps
* AC 110 Volts

Power consumption:
* 0.7 Amps in refrigeration mode
* 2.5 Amps in freezer mode

Fuse: 10A thermal fuse

There is also a bracket that allows it to be secured to the deck, but still easily removed.

Good Old Boat reference:

Faux fridge (Simple Solutions), By Carl Hunt, 50-sept/oct 06 Page 78-79

? Faux fridge: It was buy a new refrigeration system to replace his icebox or get creative. Carl got creative and added a portable refrigerator for less money. Key words: Don Birdwell, capacity, cooler sizes, power requirements, Adler/Barbour CF-50 Fisheries Supply, batteries, alternator, Powerline 100-amp alternator, Downwind Marine, Dr. Electron, Alan Katz, Isotherm compressor, controller, holding plate, testing the unit Portable refrigerator provides economical ice

Link: http://www.compactappliance.com/xq/JSP. ... ENG_45.htm
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Allen,

I have heard good things about the Engel but have not looked into it much (if only I were to that stage of creature comfort selection :-)

One thing I'm curious about (and want to mention): At one point in the past I bought a run-of-the-mill 12v cooler with the thought that it could be plugged into 12v when there was plenty of power available (i.e. good sun/wind or shorepower), but that at other times I could just chuck a block of ice into it and use it as an icebox.

As it turns out, that particular model of 12v cooler warned that under no circumstances was one to put actual ice in it. I think that was because there were vents that would have let water into mechanisms that did not want to get wet (in which case one could use ice if it were wrapped somehow, I suppose), but I'm not sure if there were other reason(s). I wonder how the Engel handles this. If one could toss some ice in at times it would be nice.

As an aside, we've put Frigoboat refrigeration systems into a few boats where I work and they seem to work very well; although I have not heard reports from anyone in tropical waters.

Thanks for the link,

--- R.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Rachel, here's a picture of the interior of the Engel. It does have a freeze mode so I would presume ice would not be a problem.

Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

If you could build a spot to slide that engle cooler into where your original icebox was you would have it made!!

That is a neat idea...
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allen

Post by Allen »

This picture shows the location (upper left) of the old portable refrigerator (Igloo Survivor) and is where the Engel will, most likely, reside.

The original icebox on Kaholee has been removed and will be the location of the nav station. The sea berth is on the port side also so the nav station is designed to not impede laying down on the sea berth
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

That looks like a nice piece of equipment. I think it's more "modular' than portable (53 lbs empty),
but there's not much to be said for lugging the whole fridge around anyway.

Something modular and self-contained, though, seems to make a lot of sense.

I guess the trade-off is capacity, but there are very few things that I really need to refrigerate,
and a unit like that looks just about right.

This seems a little cheesy, though.
The Engel 35/45 Hinge Lock secures your Engel MT35 or MT45's lid against lateral movement.
The lids on Engel MT35 and MT45 Freezer Fridges sometimes slide sideways and completely off the hinges.
The hinge lock prevents this from happening by restricting the lateral movement of the lid.
The hinge lock is easily installed and still permits easy removal of the Engel MT35 and MT45's lid when desired.

Seems to me like they would be wiser to re-specify the hinge than to sell this as a do-it-yourself add-on??
If your slogan is "A Legend in Reliability"-
but the tops fall off and you have to bolt on something to stop it, it seems a little ironic :)
Cape Dory 10 & 27