BlueCharts vs Others

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
FloatingMoneyPit
Topside Painter

BlueCharts vs Others

Post by FloatingMoneyPit »

I like the Garmin chartplotters I've had the chance to use. However, my 182C is on the fritz and now that I'm looking around at non-Garmin handhelds, I realize that there are possibly far more economical alternatives. For example, getting from say, Block Island to Norfolk via C&D canal would require 3 Bluecharts. That's five or six hundred bucks.
However, I'm looking at Lowrance in another browser window right now. Their Nauticpath product covers the entire US for $99. Navionics Gold take you from NC to the southern Bahamas on one $175 card. If I'm missing something here, please educate me.
I'd love to hear opinions from folks who can compare the various electronic charts out there. I'd guess that Bluecharts are more detailed and updated given their cost, but I use my chartplotter as merely an assistant to paper charts. An iFinder H20 with Nauticpath might be all the assistance my cruising career will ever need, and for <$400.
Tartan 27
Brooklyn, NY
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Post by dmairspotter »

There was a side by side comparo in Cruising World an issue or two ago, Maybe you could find it online. From what I remember, the onscreen display for the Garmin looked better to me, but some of the others had what sounded like neat features.
Columbia34
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Garmin 492c

Post by Columbia34 »

Look at the Garmin 492c, it comes per loaded with all the great lakes and U.S. costal waters. for around $600.

Scott
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Mark.Wilme »

If you know which cruising world it is, let me know I subscribe so I can copy it and fax/mail it to you.

I don't recall it though
George ( C&C 40 )
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by George ( C&C 40 ) »

Hi Guys,

It's the November 2006 issue of Cruising World -- page 94.

George
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Got it here. If anyone wants a copy faxing or mailing please sene me a private message.