Source for UNinsulated crimp terminals?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Source for UNinsulated crimp terminals?

Post by dasein668 »

Anyone have a good source for uninsulated terminals? Specifically, ring terminals and butt connectors. It seems that everybody sells only pre-insulated or heat shrink terminals....
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

Most industrial electric houses should have them for you, they are used often in hi-temp applications. Klein make a specially nice crimper to use with them, the crimpers for insulated terminals sorta work if you cheat, but not as well.

Although there is an age-old debate about whether or not a soldered connection is more failure-prone in a high vibration application, I like to crimp and then Quickly, Lightly solder before applying the heatshrink, just to seal the wire where it is bared.

Dave
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The crimp-solder debate is mostly centered around connections that are only soldered. The idea is that the solder, being relatively brittle, is susceptible to cracking and failure from the vibration and movement of the boat during normal use.

Soldering on top of the properly crimped connection does not make the connection any more susceptible to failure; even if the solder were to fail, there is still the crimp holding things together. The crimp does the work; the solder is just icing on the cake. Whether or not the solder adds anything of value in this instance is also debatable, but it certainly doesn't hurt, either.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Yeah, I had already found CableTiesPlus... I was wondering if anyone had any actual experience with a particular distributor--either good or bad.

I have found a local distributor who deals with retail-level sales, so I'll be checking them out soon.