Best Yamar parts supplier?

Talk about favorite or hated suppliers, recommend good materials or sources, or anything of the same ilk. This is also a good place to suggest unique ideas and innovations you may have come up with.
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Best Yamar parts supplier?

Post by Peter »

I'm fishing for recommendations for the best Yanmar diesel parts supplier.
Thanks!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

I subscribe to the Yanmar Diesel group on Yahoo - like the Triton list. The moderator there is quick to answer questions and dispenses a lot of good info. He also owns a shop in Florida and has been working on Yanmars for some ungodly number of years.

He's mentioned sending stuff to people on the list before. Might be worth a try. He'll give out part numbers and stuff if you need them too. It's a good resource if nothing else.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Yanmardiesel/
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Yanmar imposes territory restrictions on its dealers. Therefore, you can't buy parts from just any dealer--or, more specifically, dealers supposedly won't sell to customers outside their area.

I like Torresen Marine (www.marinedieseldirect.com) because of their comprehensive and easy-to-use site and good inventory, but unfortunately they don't sell to your area. Still, it's a great reference site regardless of whether or not you can buy from them.

Here's a link to a distributor list for Canada. Good luck!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Mark.Wilme »

I like Hansen Marine in MA for my Westerbeke parts but I don't know if they are also Yanmar.

They have my CC # on file and I just tell them by email what I want and the best price I have found elsewhere and they generally match or beat the price and ship same day.
Mark.
S/V Calypso. 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 381
Not quite a plastic classic yet
Peter

Post by Peter »

Thanks for the links and suggestions.
Mike, I signed up to the Yahoo Yanmar forum. Thanks for the tip.

Tim, I've been in contact with Toressen and they have been quoting me prices. Maybe internet sales are still in their territory.

Buying parts locally is very expensive ... I don't understand why. Maybe it's because we're on an island;-)
Anyway, I do most of my shopping thru the US and save a bundle.

I found the complete Yanmar 1, 2, and 3 GM service manual on the www. Does anyone know of a web-available parts manual?
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Peter wrote: I've been in contact with Toressen and they have been quoting me prices. Maybe internet sales are still in their territory.
They may talk to you and quote prices, but I suspect you may run up against the territory restrictions when you try to give them a shipping address outside of their selling territory.

Then again, maybe not. Since I'm in their territory, it's never come up for me, of course. There's no harm in trying!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
richfriend
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Yanmar Parts Listing

Post by richfriend »

You might try the Yanmar help forum

http://www.freeboards.net/index.php?mfo ... lp&act=idx

There have been links to parts manuals for my YS12E although they are scanned copies and difficult to read. I'm sure someone there has a digital copy available.
While you think you're green, you're growing,
but when you think you're ripe, you're rotten.
Peter

Post by Peter »

I bought a parts manual and I see why nobody has scanned one. Every second page is 11 x 17 foldout with diagrams. The manual covers all GM/HM engines and is well worth the price for the diagrams alone.

I did manage to find two internet companies that will ship Yanmar parts anywhere. This was a relief because the price of an engine mount was $96 as opposed to $234 (Cdn) here at home. I can't understand why we're being held to ransome just because we're north of the 49th, after all, the west coast is a lot closer to Japan than New York is!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

gonesail
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by gonesail »

Peter wrote:I did manage to find two internet companies that will ship Yanmar parts anywhere.
hi Peter: regarding the internet companies .. can you provide some names or links? thanks and best of luck with your yanmar.